Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How to control the scope and camera Wireless

daverave83

Hey Guys,

As the post says is there a way to control the camera and goto scope wirelessly? at the moment i setup my laptop outside and with my laptop and noticed that damage can occur if the temprature dropped below 0'c, at the moment i leave the laptop running over 2 hours whilst it takes pcitures so not the best route.

What I am looking for is a simple setup and shoot, to all the normal procedures i.e. 2 star align and focus, then do the rest of the imaging in the comfort of my home, this will save in my laptop getting damaged.

Security wise - a webcam should suffice?

It's a simple goto, untill i upgrade to the HEQ5 :grin:

You have to see if EQMOD supports the make and model.  There is a way using two routers and port forwarding and a VNC package like TightVNC but I would wait for others to comment on this as I have not tried it.

A hub will be good because you want to run the camera and focuser too but when you upgrade to the HEQ5 you will need to either run the PC through the HC with the cable provided, in which case you will need a serial to USB adapter.  Or you can buy a EQdir cable and run direct from PC through the USB hub.

I use USB repeater cable connected to my laptop in the warmth of the house - on the other end (next to the telescope) a USB hub.

Connected is my HEQ5, canon 1100d camera ... all driven in the warmth :)

The only issue I have is that I manually have to focus the camera outside, then carry the laptop indoors once the imaging starts.

I am looking into a remote/usb controlled focuser...  http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-dc-focus-controller.html

Once I have this focuser - everything should be indoors :)

I use USB repeater cable connected to my laptop in the warmth of the house - on the other end (next to the telescope) a USB hub.

Connected is my HEQ5, canon 1100d camera ... all driven in the warmth  :)

The only issue I have is that I manually have to focus the camera outside, then carry the laptop indoors once the imaging starts.

I am looking into a remote/usb controlled focuser...  http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-dc-focus-controller.html

Once I have this focuser - everything should be indoors  :)

Connected is my HEQ5, canon 1100d camera ... all driven in the warmth  :)

I am looking into a remote/usb controlled focuser...  http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-dc-focus-controller.html

Once I have this focuser - everything should be indoors  :)

I've taken to turning the laptop screen around to face the window and looping exposures with a Bahtinov mask on. Always means a bit of running back and to - suppose it keeps the neighbours entertained.

Archived