Narrowband

Seeing Jupiter for the first time!

Hi all,

I've been waiting patiently all day to go outside with my telescope for the very first time, praying the clouds would stay away.

I was having a cigarette at my back door and decided to turn the kitchen light off and have a look in the skies. I opened up my night sky app and found Jupiter. I quickly ran inside, grabbed my scope and set it up. I found it pretty quickly and was amazed at what I saw! Then I realised I had to focus and was even more amazed at what I saw. Jupiter and it's 4 moons! I looked at it for about 25 minutes and showed my family. Then I went on to have a quick look at Orion then a reddish looking star at the top left of Orion then I tried to have a look at Andromeda, I saw a very bright star but I'm not sure if it was Andromeda. The I put my telescope back on to Jupiter and realised the longer I looked, the clearer it got. I even saw its dark rings! I tried to take a photo with my iPhone and this is the clearest one I got, it's nothing compared to some of your pictures but it's my first one and I'm very proud :)Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

congratulations on your 1st Jupiter sighting, it really is a knock out object to observe especially with the everchanging position of the moons. the "dark rings" are equatorial cloud belts, a couple of years back one of them completely dissappeared!

the bright star was probably Sirius, to the left and below Orion

Andromeda looks more like a smudge on the sky, which gets brighter if you avert your vision.

Jupiter is a great first object to view and it gets better the more you view it, especially when you pick out the GRS for the first time.

Archived