Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

150 pro Mak vs C8 or 8se

Hi all... Got a spot of burning aperture fever and wondering if going from a sw 150pro Mak to a C8 or 8se will be worth while.

I'm staying with my eq5 as its nice and portable so the next jump up (C9.25) would be a step too far :-)

I have a 250 dob for visual and the C8 would be mainly for planetary webcam imaging (asi120mc)

Cheers all

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the 9.25 too heavy for the mount? For planetary and lunar imaging the tracking doesn't have to be perfect.

Have a look in the planetary imaging section and see the results people are getting with the various scopes. It's a question of aperture vs focal length, and also also mak vs sct (which retains collimation better)....

I'd go for aperture.

James

Cool down time will depending on the starting temperature; if you keep it in the oven at 150 degrees it will take much longer to cool down than if it's in an unheated outside garage.

Not sure it would fit in my oven  :evil:

Haha :)

Just store the scope in a cooler place for the 12 hours prior to use, and if transporting it in the car don't have the hearing ramped up.

If the only place you an store the scope is in a centrally heated room, the cool down time will be a consideration; i can't remember the time per inch i'd read but you'd find the info on here somewhere.

James

C8 on a decent EQ mount will be best (EQ5 with drives). The Celestron SE mount may not be very accurate/stable (I didn't had luck with it), while 150 mm Mak will just be smaller and thus will give less detail when imaging planets (lower resolving power :)) C8 is lightweight and it will cool quote fast (faster than like 180 mak with thick from meniscus).

And the Lymax Cooler idea can be easily made "at home" at much lower prices (a must have for bigger SCTs).

Less obvious choices would be a bargain on some top quality 200 mm Intes Mak (fans for cooling etc.), or even GSO/Revelation 8" RC (not planetary by default, but can also be used as such as of DS imaging. Bit higher obstruction may be overcome in processing).

If it's mainly for planetary webcam, then if it was me, I'd go for a 9.25 and feel confident looking at Damien Peach's images taken with a 9.25. If it was good enough for him to bother using...

I actually have an 8 as my main SCT now (instead of a C11) because of its light weight and compact size and having enough aperture to keep me amused imaging and observing the moon.

I'd vote c9.25 never used one but from  everything I have read Its considered the jewel in the crown in celestrons sct range. Big enough to see most anything. small enough to be manageable. one of the descriptions described it as the goldilocks scope.

What f/ is the RC?

There probably aren't many cotes for the RC as fewer people have owned one / own one / know anything about them.

I toyed with the idea once, but i like the fact SCTs and Maks are essentially a sealed tube and that there is no issue about cleaning the primary; the corrector plate is dead easy to clean if necessary.

For every inch greater in aperture you go, you get something like 30% more light gathering (assuming the secondary stays constant i presume).

So i'd say go for the greatest aperture you can afford / can lift / will regularly use.

Jd

if the intended use is just planetary and moon,why not think about refractor with a nice long F ratio? cooling time:none,storing issues :almost none and your mount will be perfectly happy with it.

Planets are bright and do not require massive apertures.Did a quick comparison between my 14" dob and my 90mm F14.4 (1300mm) refractor and on the moon frac gave much crispier views then my dob as for dob it was by far too bright.Even my wife said that the frac is better on moon. 

Archived