30mm Vixen LV 60º (2")

21mm TV polssl 50º

13mm TV plossl

8.8mm Meade UWA 82º

2x SW barlow

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seem to have 4 currently.... Can't bring myself to sell the 17t4 for some reason but it or the 17e should probably go.<br />

<br />

I do love my widefield views with the apos under dark skies.<br />

<br />

Stu

A 2" eyepiece is just a tool to do a job. If you want to have a field of view wider than the 1.25" format can deliver at a given magnification then you need a 2" format eyepiece or a shorter focal length scope. Many folks end up with one or two 2" eyepieces in their set because some deep sky objects are large and it's nice to view them in their entirety and buying a 2" eyepiece is, usually, less expensive than buying another scope. If you never feel the urge to have these views then the 1.25" format is just fine  :smiley:

As I happen to really like wide and ultra wide fields of view I have two 2" eyepieces, three which have a hybrid 1.25"/ 2" barrel (because they are bulky) and four in the 1.25" format.

RikM, I note in you list a 3.5mm Baader Hyperion 68º. Would you not count this as a 2" as it is when you remove the bottom 1.25" section. Having said this I also know that this bottom section contains a single lens and have not yet had a chance to see what difference it makes when you remove this and use the unit as a 2" unit.

RikM, I note in you list a 3.5mm Baader Hyperion 68º. Would you not count this as a 2" as it is when you remove the bottom 1.25" section. Having said this I also know that this bottom section contains a single lens and have not yet had a chance to see what difference it makes when you remove this and use the unit as a 2" unit.

Removing the bottom lens element is supposed to turn it into a 21.8mm 2" EP but in that configuration, it is utterly unusable in my f/4.7 scope. It shows massive amounts of astigmatism. The modular design of the Hyperions sounds a nice idea, but I hate faffing about with extra bits of kit in the dark and cold, so no use for me in practice.

Archived