Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Orange Haze

New 10" Dob, she has arrived.....

Excellent, many happy times ahead :smiley:

There's a lot of DSO you are going to see that will make your spine tingle, great scope....

Cheers guys. Was hoping to get out for the first time with her tonight but the cloud that was supposed to clear has instead decided to settle in for the night. Ggggrrrrrrrrrr! :(

Lee, have you managed to get the scope out yet? We had lovely clear skies here last night.

• Like 1

Hi Hobbes. Yes I managed to get out on two occasions, although last night was a no go.

I was really pleased with the views of Jupiter and M42. Was sort of laughing as I was viewing as could not believe the step up in quality from my previous scope. Andromeda was a lot brighter but I think I am going to need a good quality 32mm type eyepiece I to make the most of the scope on those type of targets. Also want a top notch 5 or 6mm to bring out the best in the planets. Oh and I would like some filters. Lol, does the shopping list ever end.......? :)

Failed to get the supernova, but I will hunt it down before it fades. So far so good, except dew and of course, cloud.

• Like 1

Lee, I see you have the Rigel, what do you reckon of it? I find just the finder scope on its own can still be awkward to use for star hopping. I'm torn between the Rigel and the telrad to help with this.

I love the Rigel. Have one on each of my scopes. I tried the finderscope with the Dob but just couldn't get on with it. Not only was it awkward to view through but I didn't like the magnified view, I might as well use a low mag eyepiece to surf the sky.

Have little trouble finding objects with the Rigel most of the time the concentric red circles are ace for zoning in on the part of the sky you want. The telrad is a similar price I think but much more bulky on the scope. Haven't used a telrad myself so couldn't offer a fair comparison.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with the Rigel.

• Like 1

Had some great views with mine. Rigel fits fine - mines on the right of the  finder

• Like 1