Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim

Help! How best to get an image of Mars / Saturn??

I have now tried a couple of thigns but am disappointed with the results.

Is there a way to get a decent shot of Mars and Saturn with the kit I have?

Does anybody have any tips? SteveL suggested that a webcam is better for planetary images.

Here's the kit I have;

C9.25

HEQ5 PRO / synscan

6,10,12,15,20,25,32mm Plossls

F6.3 reducer

Celestron off axis guider

Celestron tele extender

Canon 400D and associated t rings etc.

I also have a thingymabob whereby I can attach my video camera to the eyepiece.

Do I have any hope of bringing out any detail? Whats my best options? As I understand, Mars will be in its best position for many years, so I'd like to get a nice set of images sooner rather than later.

Thanks very much as always.

TJ

TJ,

You don't have anywhere near enough equipment for successful imaging - so the only thing I can suggest is that you donate what little equipment you have to me. :D

Seriously though a webcam would be a great addition, though I would imagine the video camera could also be used?

cheers

Sam

Here's a link to a couple fo saturns I have taken so far.

There's no detail to be seen on saturn, and its all very blurry. To get the moons on the one pic I used two layers and then combined them, one with long exp and one short one.

Saturn taken with video camera thru eyepiece, imported to windows movie maker, exported to avi, imported to virtualdub, exported as bitmap. Probably lost something in the translation too?? :D

http://www.btinternet.com/~mr.squeegee/Astro/Saturn0690.bmp

And this one was taken just with the camera at prime focus I think.

http://www.btinternet.com/~mr.squeegee/Astro/Saturn_and_Moons.jpg

Cheers

TJ

Here's one of Saturn I did last year..

Helios 120 Refractor

HEQ5 Pro

Toucam Pro 2

IR Blocking filter

1200 frames stacked in Registax

Tweaked in PS2

It was my first attempt..I needed more power but only had a x3 barlow, needed a x5 imagemate really. This month i'll get the SN10 on Mars and see how it copes..

I have an article by Damien Peach somewhere, I just followed his instructions of keeping it simple. If I find the article i'll let you have it.

Your video camera, does it shoot in AVI format...If so upload it into Registax..I apologise but I don't know an awful lot about video cameras.

Greg

TJ..

Have you read Martin B's primer on Planetary imaging with a Toucam? (http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,3523.0.html)

Webcams are the choice for planetary imaging because the high(ish) number of frames per second they can capture is more useful for capturing the brief moments when seeing improves.

The C9.25 is a highly rated planetary imaging scope.. Stick a webcam on it and learn how to process the results in Registax/ K3CCD and you should be able to get some nice results.

Scott

Actually TJ,the Saturn image can be improved in short order by 'defuzzing' and brightening the original in Photoshop. If you then make a layer of the improved image and apply Auto Levels you can combine the two and change the opacity levels until you have a mix that best suites your eye.

Cheers

CW

( click to enlarge a bit)

TJ

Only joking, but you will never get a decent planetary image with that scope!

A webcam is the best bet as it allows you to stack lots of frames which can help to compensate for the effects of bad seeing.

Focal length is also important. At least F20 for Saturn, and F30 or more for Mars to get a decent image scale. So a good Barlow or Powermate is an essential addition to your kit.

I envy you having that Celestron. I would love to get one of those myself, but no funds to do so.

There is plenty of good advice to be found on the web, but if you PM me, I would be happy to chat on the phone if that would help.

Geoff

Actually TJ,the Saturn image can be improved in short order by 'defuzzing' and brightening the original in Photoshop. If you then make a layer of the improved image and apply Auto Levels you can combine the two and change the opacity levels until you have a mix that best suites your eye.

Cheers

CW

Wow! :shock:

Getting the image to your PC really IS only the first step...

Wow! :shock:

Getting the image to your PC really IS only the first step...

Yup!!

Wait till you start down the RGB route for planets, with IR blocks, deconvolution........

Capturing becomes the EASY bit :D :D :lol: