10 billion y.o. galaxy from BACK GARDEN

Luke

Anyone else had luck spotting this one from their BACK GARDEN? :grin: :grin:

Amateur astronomer discovers a new galaxy 10 billion light years away while stargazing in his BACK GARDEN

Mr Chetnik, 60, was stunned when he found out that a blurry spec he spotted in the night sky last week was a cluster of stars, gas and matter from a distant world.

He said he felt like he had 'won the lottery' after discovering the new galaxy 10 billion light years from Earth.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2540578/Amateur-astronomer-discovers-new-galaxy-10-billion-light-years-away-star-gazing-BACK-GARDEN.html

--

PS Congrats to Zbigniew, if you are out there, how awesome to help discover the galaxy :laugh:

Either my memory is wrong, or the Daily Mail has got it wrong.  Surely it had nothing to do with his back garden?  A large number of images of potential lensing objects were put online during Stargazing Live and people were asked to look at them to see if they could find evidence light being bent around the gravitational lens.  He was the first to find one by looking at the photographs which I imagine he is more likely to have done sitting in his living room than by looking through his telescope.  I don't recall anything being said on the programme about him getting an image of it, but I still have the recording so I can check.

Not that it isn't exceptionally cool to discover a galaxy and have it named after you.

James

Daily Fail yet again .... :mad:

If I recall correctly the image was one from the Zooniverse project set up to find gravitational lenses , data from Hubble ... ?

It wasn't imaged from his back garden .

Snap :)

James

Sadly, this is typical press sensationalism at it´s finest.

He didn´t take the images himself.  He took part in this: http://spacewarps.org/  . He was 1 of 6 to Discover the image and was Lucky to be the first.

Do you really think an Amateur telescope is able to take a deep Field image like that? Have you any idea how high the resolution needs to be and the kind of imaging Equipment you would need? How long a single exposure need to be to pick up something like this?

Simply not possible. Or scientists wouldn´t need to beg for multi billion dollar Budgets to build those huge telescopes lol.

It´s a sensational discovery for sure!  And it´s absolutely great that an amateur astronomer made the discovery.

But skewing the facts and make it look like that any amateur astronomer with an decent size SCT and CCD camera would be able to take deep Field images will hurt Amateur astronomy! Not help it.

It gives People false hope and expectations that can only lead to utter dissapointment.

I was watched it all on Star Gazing Live, and it was certainly the best result from their Zooniverse campaign.   Exagerated reporting from the press - and may do wonders for the sales of Meade SCTs!

Very glad to see it go to a keen amateur astronomer, and it was a pleasure to hear him interviewed over the phone by the SGL team - a very good ambassador for all us amateur astronomers.

I was watched it all on Star Gazing Live, and it was certainly the best result from their Zooniverse campaign.   Exagerated reporting from the press - and may do wonders for the sales of Meade SCTs!

Very glad to see it go to a keen amateur astronomer, and it was a pleasure to hear him interviewed over the phone by the SGL team - a very good ambassador for all us amateur astronomers.

Yeah lol. Almost get the feeling Meade made a deposit to this reporter´s bank account. /facepalm

All credit to him and the others for spotting it , but lots of points must be deducted for him allowing the DM go to print with this wildly inaccurate piece.

He must have been interviewed as well as photographed by them ...  :mad:

I doubt he had any influence on the final form of the article, if he even saw it before it went to press.  I'd put it entirely down to incompetent journalism.

James

JeroKane, no, I don't think it's possible from your BACK GARDEN :grin:  :grin:

I find the story's inaccuracy hilarious! :grin:

I wanted to leave a comment on the story that I was going to look for Pluto tonight with my high-strength magnifying glass, but looks like you have to sign up to leave comments :grin:

Apologies to anyone having a quick glance thinking it was an accurate story, I should have made clear I was slightly mocking it, it's an eye opener to see things like that reported so boldy as fact, and it's not just the heading either!

But aside from the inaccurate reporting, I absolutely loved what Stargazing Live was doing, and it's a fabulous, fascinating discovery. Very well done, Mr Chetnik :laugh:

Having a back yard amateur achieving results with a little dobby that the Hubble team with their luvly space telescope would be well proud of is very good going lol.

News papers eh, says it all. I blame those that buy them in the first.

Congratulations Mr Chetnik.

Unfortunately the Daily Fail employs a reality distortion field even more potent than a Einstein lens. Such errors could be avoided if they took the trouble to watch the programme on iPlayer or browse the SpaceWarps site, but clearly that is too much to ask. It's cut-and-paste journalism.

JeroKane, no, I don't think it's possible from your BACK GARDEN :grin:  :grin:

I find the story's inaccuracy hilarious! :grin:

I wanted to leave a comment on the story that I was going to look for Pluto tonight with my high-strength magnifying glass, but looks like you have to sign up to leave comments :grin:

Apologies to anyone having a quick glance thinking it was an accurate story, I should have made clear I was slightly mocking it, it's an eye opener to see things like that reported so bodly as fact, and it's not just the heading either!

But aside from the inaccurate reporting, I absolutely loved what Stargazing Live was doing, and it's a fabulous, fascinating discovery. Very well done, Mr Chetnik :laugh:

Hehe it wasn´t directly targeted at you, but in general towards this article.

Just annoying this article made it to press, without verification.

This kind of articles don´t help Amateur astronomy at all, only hurt it!  It pretty much discredits the entire story.

Archived