Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

10 mins...then BANG!

Hello,

This is coming from a very excited husband and wife in Warwickshire. Firstly, let me just explain we are very new to this...

So, basically we had our SkyWatcher 200p Dob delivered on Tuesday but until today it hadn't been used, due to dense cloud. However, we decided to have a go tonight as we saw a break in the sky. We managed to tune the view finder in to the Moon, which was beautiful and breathtaking. Will definitely need some kind of filter for better viewing next time, we had a look at that for about 5 mins until the cloud crept over it again, then we saw with our naked eye what we thought was a random star. My husband got it lined up in the view finder, looked through the lens and BOOM..Jupiter in all it's glory with it's 4 moons very clearly visible! 

We we're elated, couldn't believe that we just came across it and we only had 10 minutes viewing time, unfortunately both clouds and rain ended our fun. 

Just to add I was also excited at the fact that the Google Sky Map app I have downloaded seemed to perfectly tally up with the sky, (I checked against it, once we found Jupiter). Think it's really going to help us in the future. 

Claire and Hubby  :cheesy:  :cheesy:

You'll surely get more than 10 minutes next time and there's certainly lots up there to enjoy. Those apps are dead handy for getting started with understanding the night sky and how it all rotates around, etc. Especially when you point the camera of your device toward where you are looking and it uses the gyrocompass to show you the map of the sky.

Many happy returns!

Wait till you start looking at galaxies, nebulae and clusters. :)

Can't wait to find those, we did have a little play around trying to find something more last night, guided by our new book 'Turn left at Orion' but to no avail just yet...fingers crossed we will get there soon.

@Red Dwarf It is really good that we are both into it I agree, we were going down to introduce ourselves earlier to the people at our local Astronomers club, it was for Solar Observing, however it looked like it had been cancelled in the end.

Claire

Fascinating isn't it Claire :)

We are surrounded by all kinds of wonders out there in space.

Saturn is a lovely sight with it's amazing rings. I still find looking (actually through the eye peice, no camera) at the surface of the Moon with a decent amount of 'magnification' quite fascinating, to see all that detail with my own eyes of another planets surface is lovely.

Archived