SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

8se upgrade options

Mooney501

Hi guys ive been using my celestron 8se for just over 1 year now with its standard goto mount.

I'm now thinking of upgrading my mount but could use some advice.

I am a keen photographer and want to partner my two hobbies closer together now, hence the upgrade.

The mounts I'm interested in are the celestron advanced vx mount

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-mounts/celestron-advanced-vx-mount.html

Or the skywatcher heq5 pro synscan

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-heq5-pro-synscan.html

I am wanting to add a guide scope and want something thats easy for polar alignment and something that you dont need a degree to use.

Any advice is very welcome and will help me a lot.

Are there any other mount options that could be better for me?

I dont really want to go over the £800 mark.

Cheers chris.

Hi,

I cant offer much help as I am in exactly the same situation! I have an Celestron 8 SE and I am now ready to upgrade to an EQ mount.
Originally I was looking at the Celestron AVX mount as  this seemed the logical choice. Having read up on the Internet the HEQ5 Pro seems to have more way more information and support. This may be simply because the AVX is newer?
You can also upgrade the HEQ with belt drives (though this maybe possible on the AVX too) Not sure on how much the AVX can take but the HEQ 5 I believe can accept a 13KG payload?

I am going more towards the HEQ but would be interested in hearing on other peoples opinion.

Mike

I believe the 8SE is "Faststar" ( a SCT camera) and the exposure time required for imaging is greatly reduced thus you will not need a wedge.

I don't know a great deal about it as I am not into AP, but it might be worth giving FLO a call for investigative purposes.

Hi,

I cant offer much help as I am in exactly the same situation! I have an Celestron 8 SE and I am now ready to upgrade to an EQ mount.

Originally I was looking at the Celestron AVX mount as  this seemed the logical choice. Having read up on the Internet the HEQ5 Pro seems to have more way more information and support. This may be simply because the AVX is newer?

You can also upgrade the HEQ with belt drives (though this maybe possible on the AVX too) Not sure on how much the AVX can take but the HEQ 5 I believe can accept a 13KG payload?

I am going more towards the HEQ but would be interested in hearing on other peoples opinion.

Mike

+ 1 subscribed

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing better for the price than those 2

The heq5 is tried and tested and well supported by eq mod to give it lots of photograhic capabilities, the vx on the other hand while still new is starting to get some very good reviews. however my opinion is that whilst the vx is newer and perhaps better the heq5's problems are well documented and theres plenty of info on the web to help you. the vx doesn't have the history yet so in my opinion the jury is still out on it

Archived