Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Space Cowboy

Jupiter processing challenge.

Hmm, this is the first time I've looked at processing Jupiter for a year or two so aside from a couple old processes I know this is what I came up with.

I'm sure plenty can do better but I quite like the challenge.

Thanks for sharing Stuart. :)

post-8383-0-23341400-1389865268.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure I am getting involved, the image is noisey as hell. your the expert with these. you been playing with them for ages. Why is it so noisy Stuart

Hmm, this is the first time I've looked at processing Jupiter for a year or two so aside from a couple old processes I know this is what I came up with.

I'm sure plenty can do better but I quite like the challenge.

Thanks for sharing Stuart. :)

attachicon.gifDrizzle15_4-46-35-78-Part0000_pipp_g4_b3_ap2.jpg

Wow nice job JB. :)

What are the acquisition details for this? Lots of detail there.

Edit: just checked your flickr page Stuart, sick planetery imaging, very nice.

Edited by Amra

Here is my quick attempt

post-5655-0-32457300-1389869441.png

Nothing special, just a quick wavelet processing in RS6. I did try deconvolution in MatLab, but was not too impressed (needs more time to get settings right, I suppose)

Hi Stuart,

Like the others I couldn't resist a quick hack at your data!

post-9259-0-41950200-1389870409.png

Maybe a bit more aggressive than I would be with my data, but this is just a bit of fun!

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 1

Glad you are having fun guys get stuck in its all good!

This is a 3000 frame stack Neil so the noise should not be too bad. The final image I processed was a 5000 frame stack but that would make this task too easy! :evil: 

The image was captured with the Auto Dob 250 & colour QHY5L-ll with a 3x tv barlow taking a 3 min avi at around f20. Seeing was wobbly but very good in-between. Slow seeing I think they call it.

Hi Stuart this is my effort. Ohh it felt like an exam...!! :laugh:

Best regards,

Ralph

post-4992-0-15388300-1389873434.png

attachicon.gifshopped Jup.jpgMy lunchtime "living Colour" attempt. :rolleyes: 

You've recreated one of the original Voyager images there - you weren't working for NASA in the 70s were you :D

Glad you are having fun guys get stuck in its all good!

This is a 3000 frame stack Neil so the noise should not be too bad. The final image I processed was a 5000 frame stack but that would make this task too easy! :evil:

The image was captured with the Auto Dob 250 & colour QHY5L-ll with a 3x tv barlow taking a 3 min avi at around f20. Seeing was wobbly but very good in-between. Slow seeing I think they call it.

Its very different  to my 618 300p. Maybe just not used to it. some good attempts by the guys here.

Fortunately I'm on my Linux desktop machine at the moment so I don't have access to Registax etc., otherwise that would be most of my afternoon disappeared :D

James

Gain was only 30-40% on this capture Neil with about 50-60fps. I did mention to you a while ago the noise level of this cam seemed quite high especially at higher frame rates. I thought this particular capture was ok for noise so its interesting to hear your thoughts.

Some very interesting versions being produced and I would say at the moment Ralph is in the lead. :smiley:

Can you try the same processing without the drizzle, Stuart?

My mind is still not made up as to the usefulness of drizzle on heavily over-sampled planetary images (other than perhaps as a "smart resize"), but my feeling is that with the images I've tried to use drizzle on it really does bring the noise out.  Could be interesting to compare the two.

James

I normally downsize after using drizzle James. I much prefer the finer detail drizzle produces. For me without drizzle the detail is too bloated. I also think drizzle is not as effective on a smaller scope as the signal to noise is too weak.

post-7987-0-01094700-1389895632.png

A quick go before dinner.

Agree with Neil that it looks quite noisy, though it has been over a year since I've done OSC so am a bit rusty and the noise may be typical of OSC from my DBK.

I normally downsize after using drizzle James. I much prefer the finer detail drizzle produces. For me without drizzle the detail is too bloated. I also think drizzle is not as effective on a smaller scope as the signal to noise is too weak.

This is why I'm still sitting on the fence, Stuart :)  I can't square the benefits people feel they see from using drizzle with the way it is supposed to work.  I'm fairly sure that even Emil says that drizzle only works if the image is undersampled.  It's a mystery :D

James

Well, I've had a crack at it and mine comes out pretty close to Chris's I think.  It's the noise in the blue that seems to be the real killer.  I reckon it could be pushed a bit further otherwise.  I was tempted to split the colours and do a bit of noise reduction on the blue in Photoshop before recombining them, but I have stuff to do this evening...

James