Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Questions/Comments on Primer - planetary imaging with a Toucam

Saso

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats an excellent primer Martin, even I understand it..... :saturn:

That's pretty impressive Caz. I can never understand this sort of thing unless I have frustrated myself getting it wrong first. Bit of a man thing really, always plug in the video and read the instructions later :insects1:

Bit of a man thing really, always plug in the video and read the instructions later
Yep iam the same Martin hehe it's more fun though i think working things out for yourself? but when it comes to imaging you/i need all the help we can get and with this excellent primer it will deff help people.

Excellent.

James :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...

i am currently cutting my teeth on the toucam now,

i feel it only fair to say this is becoming my main reference for this kiind of work.

Personally i would have put the use of VitualDub before Registax. but thats for me to do if i wish

Otherwise fab.

What i may do ppl is a course on this which i will make available complimentary to the stargazerslounge, courtesy of EasyasIT

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Martin, it's really a big help. I have been experimnting with Creative web cam that Russ kindly gave me, so far I haven't used it for astro, as I haven't got a reliable eq mount yet.

Hope to have some results soon

naz :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I'll attach this image to the bottom of this thread - seems the best place for it!

It's the seetings used by one of the guys on the K3CCD forum - you can see the setting he used for his standard ToUCam controls for imageing Jupiter.

Bear in mind that the settings will need tweaking according to conditions, but it's probably a good starting point!

image.jpg

Interesting to see that he had cranked the saturation right up. Think it may be a case of trial and error with that - doesn't alway work. Brightness half way and low gain seems to work well.

Nice screen shots Daz :D

i hv been toying with this for ages to gain a good image of saturn, still i only get a glowing oval blob :-(

where in the blazing dickens am i going wrong?

anyone?

Al

Al, it sounds like you are having problems with focussing, seeing and ??over exposure. If the seeing is poor you will find that Saturn only occasionally flickers into focus. Focus is critical and requires very fine tuning. If the image is over exposed detail will be wiped out. For Saturn try using Cassini as your focussing aid, it is a bit easier with the image slightly over exposed. Once focussed adjust the exposure as outlined in the primer. If you are still having problems you may need to check the collimation of your scope - high magnifications are a stern test of the optics

Archived