Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello From Belfast

DeckerZ

Hi everyone,

I am really new to astronomy. My brother-in-law introduced me to it two weeks ago and I have been smitten. Coincidentally a work colleague gave me a telescope one of her family gave her, which she didn't have the interest in using. It's a Mead 4504. I noticed a few screws missing from the motors casing and a crack on one of the motor housing, but I had it out tonight and couldn't believe how clear in which I could see the moon. When we tried to find Jupiter it was a little stary looking, but I could still see three of it's moons. I have no lenses with it except the one that was on it when I was given it. I don't really know much at all about telescopes, but I joined the forum to do just that. To find out about astronomy, the equipment necessary to enjoy the heavens and perhaps in the future start to photograph things.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Deckerz, You will get all the info and help you need on this site it is full of very knowledgeable and friendly people. Also have a good read of the posts by fellow members. And if you would like something to read and look at on cloudy nights to help you find your way around the night sky look into buying the book TURN LEFT AT ORION. Highly recommended 

Hi, DeckerZ, and welcome to SGL! Congratulations on the new scope - especially as it is a freebie! If you haven't done already, I can recommend downloading the free planetarium software 'Stellarium' which is used by a lot of people on here to not only help locate objects in the night sky, but also plan for a viewing session. The programme is fully customisable as to location (light pollution etc) and even for individual telescopes  -giving you an idea of what you will see through the eyepiece. Downloadable here: http://stellarium.org/

Hope that helps,

Martin

Archived