Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

John L Dobson R.I.P.

Stephen

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's a sign of his generosity that he never seems to have considered copyrighting his design

Indeed. I found a lovely quote from him which I feel sums his attitude to scopes up really well. I liked it so much I've put it in my signature. RIP John.

quality John (both!). I must admit this is the attitude I try to remember at star parties when asked if I get a bit fed up of everyone else looking though my 16" scope. I can look through it any time but for many it's the first but hopefully not the last time they have looked through a fairly big scope.

Fascinating man in so many ways.  The telescope mount named after him is really such a small part of what he contributed to society.  The tragedy is that far too few people know about him.

James

He brought his telescopes to Americas sidewalks to enable  passers by to look at the stars.

His simple, but extraordinary effective mount gave the skies to thousands who would otherwise have missed out.

Money was never coveted by John Dobson.

The guy was a star in his own right.

Ron.

A great man. And not only did he live to be 98 but he did so without ever growing old!

We should not be too sad because he was someone who thought deeply about life and death and I don't think he had too much time for sadness. He was a positive thinker.

Olly

A great man. And not only did he live to be 98 but he did so without ever growing old!

We should not be too sad because he was someone who thought deeply about life and death and I don't think he had too much time for sadness. He was a positive thinker.

Indeed so.  He came across as someone who had really learned to be at peace with himself.  I think it was that which impressed me about him more than anything.  I don't imagine he allowed himself to be too distressed by the notion of his approaching meeting with the interior decorator.

James

Heard the news a bit earlier today. Just told the kids, and they didn't know who John Dobson was, so I pointed out that their little scope was based on his design. I also told them that he had had a great innings, and would forever be remembered by everybody using Dobsonians. John Dobson's legacy is what I like to call a brotherhood of wide-eyed cyclopes looking at the stars on almost every starry night. A legacy no king has achieved

Probably the most influential amateur astronomer ever - really made astronomy accessible to the public, and revolutionised amateur telescope technology.

Will be sadly missed.

I dug out a few photos and an article I wrote in 2002 - on my blog at: http://starlightnights.com/callump/?p=417

A true character - when he stayed overnight with one of our society members, he wanted to sleep downstairs on the dining room floor, in case of earthquakes!

/callump

Archived