Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Stephen

John L Dobson R.I.P.

Glad I decided to go Dobsonian, I will always remember him...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sad news but 98 is a very good innings.

What a fantastic contribution he made to amateur astronomy though :icon_salut:  :icon_salut:  :icon_salut:

I will think of him with gratitude each time I use my dobsonian. 

One of the great educators.  RIP John Dobson.

I couldn't find a link to his famous documentary, but here's a short trailer.

A true inspiration. He passed on riches to mankind without thought of compensation and as so often turns out with generous souls like his own, he will probably be passed over in relative obscurity.

I get the impression that he was one of the noblest and most lovable of all the great astronomers. I remember seeing a documentary about him and there's this moment in the film when he's looking though his scope and he suddenly exclaims, "Everybody has got to see this."

I wonder how different would be the world if more folk carried a little of this rare and touching wonder towards nature, the skies and the unknown?

RIP, John Dobson and thank you for everything :icon_salut:

• Like 3

Sad news. I was facinated to read he had been a monk for many years before setting up the sidewalk astronomers. Facinating life he led.

Very sad news indeed. RIP John, but just think how much he has influenced this hobby, forever will he be remembered for his simple-to-use and simple to set-up Newtonian mount.

Legend . His name certainly lives on .

• Like 1

Indeed sad news, a great man that gave so much........rest in peace sir

• Like 1

Indeed sad news, a great man that gave so much........rest in peace sir

well said Jules... R.I.P

Very significant contribution to astronomers and public stargazing. A well deserved 98yrs. :)

I have often said that after watching a documentary on John as a lad it really got my juices flowing and to this day I will always remember it.

He gave such a magnificent gift to many people and well 98, what a good run. 

Must get around to building that dob.

Johns contribution to public outreach was immense.   Also,  giving the world the dobsonian telescope revolutionised the availability of larger telescopes for the masses and opened up the observing of the deep sky to an unprecedented level which continues today.

Anyone who met John couldn't help but be struck by his unbound enthusiasm and humility.  A real gentleman.  Thank you John.

it's a sign of his generosity that he never seems to have considered copyrighting his design

His legacy will live on, I can't see anyone ever coming up with a better design for a simple but so effective way of mounting a Newtonian. I was fortunate to spend some one to one time with him in San Francisco and the UK so have some fond memories. R I P.

A sad day.  His contributions to popularising visual astronomy and making it more accessible will be sorely missed.

You have taught us all well to question everything and forge ahead with improving things and in turn ourselves. Your name will live forever R.I.P. sir

A truly great and humble man. One mans selfless contribution to amateur astronomy that has touched so many of us. What a legend.

R.I.P John.