Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

John L Dobson R.I.P.

Stephen

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A true inspiration. He passed on riches to mankind without thought of compensation and as so often turns out with generous souls like his own, he will probably be passed over in relative obscurity.

I get the impression that he was one of the noblest and most lovable of all the great astronomers. I remember seeing a documentary about him and there's this moment in the film when he's looking though his scope and he suddenly exclaims, "Everybody has got to see this."

I wonder how different would be the world if more folk carried a little of this rare and touching wonder towards nature, the skies and the unknown?

RIP, John Dobson and thank you for everything :icon_salut:

I have often said that after watching a documentary on John as a lad it really got my juices flowing and to this day I will always remember it.

He gave such a magnificent gift to many people and well 98, what a good run. 

Must get around to building that dob.

Johns contribution to public outreach was immense.   Also,  giving the world the dobsonian telescope revolutionised the availability of larger telescopes for the masses and opened up the observing of the deep sky to an unprecedented level which continues today.

Anyone who met John couldn't help but be struck by his unbound enthusiasm and humility.  A real gentleman.  Thank you John.

His legacy will live on, I can't see anyone ever coming up with a better design for a simple but so effective way of mounting a Newtonian. I was fortunate to spend some one to one time with him in San Francisco and the UK so have some fond memories. R I P.

Archived