SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Orion wide-field in H-alpha

Martin-Devon

With poor skies (loads of rain for weeks here in Devon) and Moonlight about, I took some H-alpha images across Orion on the nights of 9th & 11th January. I was hoping to get M42 and the Horsehead all within 6 frames, but in the end it took 8 frames. There's just over 9 hours of data here. It's pretty noisy, some of the processing is a bit botched but until the nights improve this is all I can do for the moment. I'm getting an ever-increasing desire now for a wide-field CCD!

Thanks for looking,

Martin

11969088703_bba3c2c7ed_b.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's fantastic Martin - especially given the weather.  It's a wonderful area of sky that I could never tire of and you've done brilliantly well to stitch it all together.

I know what you mean about the attraction of bigger chips, but I'm going the other way with the cheaper alternative of using a camera lens on my 383L!

But back to this.  I too get a bluish background but I like it - like an astro version of sepia!  Lovely work.

Many thanks for the comments above, these are really appreciated. I've applied a mild deep-blue filter in Photoshop to the greyscale image - just my personal preference really, so that accounts for the blue-ish 'wash' you can see; I often do this to my greyscale images.

Epicycle, you asked about the subs, these varied from frame-to-frame (due to pesky clouds) but each has at least 6 x10min subs, and several have more than this.

Symesie004, you are correct, I tried Anna Morris' layer mask M42 technique for the first time, and didn't really do justice to it, I need to practice more!

Martin

Looks fab Martin.very well done and I rather like the bluish tint you've given it.

i have a plan for this area, should I get to see it, but most of that dust detail will be out of reach.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Holy Moly!!! That dust detail is just jumping out of the image at you, I think that your processing has really bought it out. The core's looking a little burnt out on my laptop, but that could be my screen as it does often clip the brighter area for me. An image that for me has bags to say - Well done! :grin:

Addtional thanks for feedback to Richard, Sara, Mark, 'Bunnygod1', Rob (Uranium235) and 'Spoon'.

I know what some of you mean in that my image is a little different to other wide-field posts of Orion. With deep sky imaging I'm not into research or anything like that, but like to achieve an image/ picture that technically & visually I'm happy with, at least for the moment. To me this is one of the attractions of deep sky imaging, with a heavy emphasis attached to the processing steps and range of palettes that can be applied, there's plenty of scope & opportunity here to experiment and add a more personal touch to the final image.

Martin

Archived