Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sirius and Procyon Spectra

Hi

Its been a while but here are a couple of Spectra taken with a Skywatcher 250, QHY5 and an SA100 - processed with RSpec

Key issues still for me is capturing a decent spectrum, I see to either under or overexpose at capture time.

Anyway im still pleased that I can detect features from these stars that a so far away with relatively inexpensive equipment

Regards

John Berman

post-4419-0-71026400-1389783010_thumb.jppost-4419-0-36055700-1389783011_thumb.jp

Nice spectra John. Welcome back.

Sirius is very easy to over expose with an F5 setup. Sirius twinkles very heavily being so bright and low down. If your spectrum is NOT twinking but you can see that Sirius is, then you have probably over exposed. A characteristic  of an over exposed A class spectrum is a flattening of the top of the raw profile. As you had already removed the continuum, I can't tell.

There's a bit of a u-shape on your continuum removal, you might be able to tweak it to get it a bit flatter.

Best to take a variety of shots with different exposure and gain settings just in case. I assume you are capturing using QGVideo.

John

John

Thanks for that yes using QGVideo which only has the 2 settings, I tend to take a video of 120 secs, I cant remember but I think I have the gain around 50% ans the other setting very low

so I am trying to visualise on the capture screen and with targets like Sirius and Vega the lines are obvious.

John B

Archived