Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best First Scope

I agree - the second hand market will offer you more value for your low budget - but you'll need to know what you're looking for and that means a lot of research. It would be a good idea to join a local astro society and have a look through a few scopes and ask lots of questions. You may even find someone willing to help you inspect/purchase whichever s/h scope you eventually go for. :)

I recently picked up a skywatcher skyhawk 1145p on an eq1 for someone and it's a great little scope. You get a parabolic mirror and you can always upgrade to a better mount later on if you want to dabble in a bit of photography. Plus you can get a small RA motor to track for about 25 gbp. If it's just always going to be for visual then I agree with the above 130p heritage just for the larger aperture and easier setup.

Hello.

As already mentioned I think you'd be hard pressed to find a new scope much cheaper than that (stay well away from the department store scopes).

Have you considered a pair of binos? I enjoy those as much as my scope.

Archived