Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HA Solar Scope for Beginner what price?

OK I know the general answer to this question is search the web, but the reason Im asking it is on Stargazing live Prof Cox said a HA scope start around £500. I nearly fell off my seat as I thought £750 or more likely £1K was the answer.

So in short what Im asking is can you get one for £500 and if not what are the chances of one being available in a sale at that price.

Or does one hit the second hand market and if so again idea on cost and where to purchase plus what are the risks on a second hand unit?

thanks

Ian

I think Prof Cox is a little out of date with his comment, entry level (and good!) Ha telescopes like the PST and Lunt LS35 were indeed around £500 new but during last year they gradually rose in price to around £700, still good value for the performance. Units purchased before the price rises are sometimes available secondhand for around £350-£400.

Secondhand, unless they are very early models that were subject to deterioration of the front element coating ("rust"), the main items to look at for possible deterioration are the 5mm blocking filter just below the eyepiece and the 15mm ITF under the blocking filter.   :smiley: 

I think it's fair to say that the general observers willingness to purchase a dedicated scope for just one (unbelievably charismatic) object has risen substantially over the past year or so.

I know it's 200 pound more than the price that got you excited in the first place, but I'd say go for it and buy one. You really can't explain what a great buy they are until you have one. If the view takes your fancy, I'd go so far as to say it'll most likely become your most used scope. With light pollution, seeing, and the like only working to conspire against our nocturnal ventures, all you really need for beautiful Ha observation is a nice break in the clouds :)

Starting to think about this seriously now, but when your starting point in the hobby bank is £0, £700 is a long way off, even flogging things on ebay so far has only netted me around £400 and I have nothing else I want to sell at the moment :), Plus until 14 days have passed Im always worried about items coming back!

Which reminds me of some Ham Radio stuff lurking in the shack but that wont get a lot!

Well I have to just sit tight.

Ian

Starting to think about this seriously now, but when your starting point in the hobby bank is £0, £700 is a long way off, even flogging things on ebay so far has only netted me around £400 and I have nothing else I want to sell at the moment :), Plus until 14 days have passed Im always worried about items coming back!

Which reminds me of some Ham Radio stuff lurking in the shack but that wont get a lot!

Well I have to just sit tight.

Ian

It's ok. The suns not going anywhere... Well, not without taking us with it :)

I would think I had about 150+ sessions last year with my solar scope. It helps that I can view during lunch at work and that the Sun can still just about be viewed from our garden in winter, when it's so much lower than in summer.

When my other half and I got the scope in January last year, we thought it would be a nice addition to our observing. What I didn't expect was that one year later, I would sooner sell my 16 inch dob than my solar scope!! :happy6:

I've bought plenty of accessories from the states, but the shipping and import taxes most often negates the venture. That's particularly true with a softening Aussie dollar. With the pound, you'd be in a better position than I am, I'd imagine.

FYI... I just purchased a used scope privately from the states and it is costing me US$235 just to ship it here.

You could start with a night time scope and buy or make a solar white light filter, that is a lower cost entry.  Like Luke I get 5 times the use out of my solar scope than I do a night time scope and Ha is stunning at the moment.  I imaged the sun last Saturday and again on Monday lunch time (out from work).  I could have got a shot in this morning, but it clouded over before I could get out of work.

The costs of the PST and Lunt 35 seemed to go up last year and agree with other comments about buying in the US, by the time you pay for shipping and import duty/VAT it is so close to $1=£1 you might as well take it that way.  I don't think I would import something to save £50 - £100 it isn't worth it if you have any problems and it needs to go back.  Different story if it is not available over here or you are saving £1,000.

Robin

I got my LS35THa second-hand for 505 Euro, and since replaced the BF400 blocking filter with a second-hand BF1200 (overkill, but for the price of a new  BF600 I couldn't resist). I just love that little scope. It is amazing what it can show. I have had many many "solar lunches" and other impromptu viewing sessions (including a view side-walk-astronomy style ones which attract loads of kids, who promptly bounce around shouting WOW!! and COOL!!). This is just a priceless experience.  If can afford it, go for it!

post-5655-0-87914000-1375733832_thumb.jp

Hmm - that's the thing, cost. £700ish is much more than my nighttime scopes - combined. On the other hand, I can totally believe there's more opportunity to use it - I like the idea of lunchtime observing.

Out of interest, what do you carry them in? The Lunt flight case for them seems hellish expensive for what it is. I'm just trying to figure out the total cost, if I'd need more things besides a mount, etc.. Or perhaps I should just make a flight case.

Hmm - that's the thing, cost. £700ish is much more than my nighttime scopes - combined. On the other hand, I can totally believe there's more opportunity to use it - I like the idea of lunchtime observing.

Out of interest, what do you carry them in? The Lunt flight case for them seems hellish expensive for what it is. I'm just trying to figure out the total cost, if I'd need more things besides a mount, etc.. Or perhaps I should just make a flight case.

The LS35 is so light and compact (and sturdy) I simply use a camera bag I no longer was using to take it to work (by bike). I carry my home-brew alt-az mount in a bag on the pack of my bike, and a tripod is at work permanently. If you use a compact mount like the mini-giro, or a camera tripod, you should be able to put everything in a decent camera bag. Much cheaper than the Lunt flight case (any Maplin case should also work)

Starting to save the pennies for this, emailed a couple of dealers and Im amazed at the responses, Some didn't answer the question asked others said look at the website and one answered the question, plus also would keep me on their list incase the prices came down.

Problem now is Im starting to run out of things to sell on ebay so every penny for this is a prisoner and finding that a new basic lunt 35 is £360 in the States just hurts, ok Shipping is £45(The highest that they charge)  then you have 4% import duty and 20% VAT on top which still only brings it to £520 which is a minimum of £70 cheaper than purchasing for the cheapest UK dealer I could find!!

So the next question is!

Do you pay import and duty / vat  on Second hand items that are imported?

So the next question is!

Do you pay import and duty / vat  on Second hand items that are imported?

Yes.  How much will depend on how much the seller declares the value to be.  You also pay it on the postage as well and if you don't write 'Customs to be cleared by Importer' Royal mail will add another £13 admin fee on top too.

If you do add this line (see http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/205480-buying-from-the-us-how-to-speed-up-the-delivery-save-money/ ) then it is up to you to deal with HM Customs, which is easy enough.

Robin

Archived