Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How to steady 15x70 binoculars

How do i get to steady some 15x70 binoculars without a tripod, as it stands i can't even keep the moon in view for more than a couple seconds, and my observation of jupiter was fractions of a second at a time.

These are my binoculars: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008Y0VN/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any tips on how to steady these binoculars so i get some good astronomy done?

Lie on a sun lounger in the garden and rest your elbows on the arms or yourself to support the binos steadily.

The other option is an upturned broom with a cloth over it!

See www.binocularsky.com for more info and ideas

Stu

The Skymasters are not excessively heavy but they are heavy enough to need some kind of support. Both options offered up above are cheap and easy. You can get a tripod for them cheap enough. I'm thinking of Redsnapper.

P.S~~with pretty much any bins of any size all you will of Jupiter is a milky white/cream coloured disc with 4 bright points of light surrounding it. 

Something like this: (top right image)

http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UTF-8&fr=crmas&p=jupiter+and+moons

I have also just bought a pair of Revelations 15x70's and find that if I hold them at the farthest point - (around the 70 bit) I can keep them fairly steady. I have also rested them on the roof of my car (most expensive tripod ever) and I've just got a tripod x bino bracket which I will try out soon as it stops raining... that's if i ever stops raining! 

I do sometimes find binos difficult to focus clearly.. How come they don't come with a fine focuser like scopes? or are there some out there that do?

I have also just bought a pair of Revelations 15x70's and find that if I hold them at the farthest point - (around the 70 bit) I can keep them fairly steady. I have also rested them on the roof of my car (most expensive tripod ever) and I've just got a tripod x bino bracket which I will try out soon as it stops raining... that's if i ever stops raining! 

I do sometimes find binos difficult to focus clearly.. How come they don't come with a fine focuser like scopes? or are there some out there that do?

The binoculars will 'bend' slightly at their pivot point to allow you to align the eyepieces correctly over each eye. You should end up with a circular image, not the figure 8 as portraid in the movies. Then close or cover the right eye, and set up the binocular using the LEFT EYE ONLY and the CENTRE FOCUS WHEEL. Once you have achieved focus, cover or shut the left eye and then using the RIGHT EYE ONLY, adjust the RIGHT EYEPIECE DIOPTRE ONLY to correctly focus the right eye. DONT TOUCH THE CENTRE FOCUS. Once the right eye is focused, just use the CENTRE FOCUS ONLY. You should be able to focus correctly on your subjects. This cant correct micro-focusing, that might get better with use!

This is another cheap and convenient option, the neck pod! Looks ridiculous but is surprisingly effective. I do use mine occasionally with my Canon binos, it improves things even given the stabilisation. This assumes your binos have a tripod connection on them which I think they do.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002JJCNMS/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

Stu

It's very tiring hand-holding @15x even with a rest of some sort. You can't concentrate on the image and you won't get the best out of your binos. So either buy or make a solid mount of some sort. As an aside I tried a pair of image-stabilised 15x40 Canons and they were excellent, you could see far more than their small aperture would suggest. My own Miyauchis sit on a solid DIY mount and are very comfortable to use from a seated position.

ChrisH

Archived