Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Alex Crombie

LOOKING UP

Hi everyone.  Just started looking up for real now since I retired. I have a NexStar 6SE telescope and an old Nikon d40 camera. I want to get a new Nikon since I have a few lenses. What would you advise?

Alex.

Welcome to SGL

Can't help with the Nikon I'm afraid.  I'd suggest posting in perhaps the camera discussion group to see if anyone can offer advice.

James 

I can't help you either...But welcome to SGL. Someone will be able to help as James said, post in Camera section 

Welcome to SGL

Can't help with the Nikon I'm afraid.  I'd suggest posting in perhaps the camera discussion group to see if anyone can offer advice.

James

I can't help you either...But welcome to SGL. Someone will be able to help as James said, post in Camera section

As above, And welcome to SGL

Hi Alex welcome to the lounge,

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Welcome to SGL - Retirement is prefect for astronomy!! WHo needs to have to worry about getting up in the morning?!!! :grin:

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi Alex, Choice of NIKON camera obviously depends on how deep your pockets are. Nikons range from £300 to thousands. I have a D3200 "entry level" camera which has a APS-C 24MP sensor which I find works well in conjunction with my refractor telescope night and day. Nikon have now introduced some other similar models with slightly better spec at slightly higher prices. They have the advantage over full frame DSLRs in that you get 50% more magnification for the same lens and they are much lighter. Obviously if you want to throw it around like the press and produce amazing billboard photographs you would need to look at the professional range. There are optional infer red and wifi gadges if you want to control by tablet, phone or laptop. GPS gadget also available. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Hi Alex, Choice of NIKON camera obviously depends on how deep your pockets are. Nikons range from £300 to thousands. I have a D3200 "entry level" camera which has a APS-C 24MP sensor which I find works well in conjunction with my refractor telescope night and day. Nikon have now introduced some other similar models with slightly better spec at slightly higher prices. They have the advantage over full frame DSLRs in that you get 50% more magnification for the same lens and they are much lighter. Obviously if you want to throw it around like the press and produce amazing billboard photographs you would need to look at the professional range. There are optional infer red and wifi gadges if you want to control by tablet, phone or laptop. GPS gadget also available. Hope that helps.

Thanks everyone for your information and good wishes.