Huge Prom - Jan 13, 2014

Luke

This fierce prom did not hang about long! After imaging it, I just caught it in the eyepiece before it started to fade. I was torn between imaging it or viewing it - a nice problem to have... :laugh:

11938437524_b905cf06df_o.jpg

Edit: how amusing - I got the shading on Earth the wrong way around :grin: :grin:

---
13/01/2014
SolarMax 60 / Grasshopper 3 (ICX687)

Superb Luke, really nice processing as well, wonderfully smooth gradient. But looks like someone has burning the midnight oil as well, judging by the posting time?

I didn't see it at 1:30pm, not sure what time you imaged? Also is that the correct orientation as there was a smaller, but very bright prom there on Saturday?

Robin

Thats a great shot, I was vieving at the same time so I know what you mean about it not hanging around!  I was showing my images of it to a friend (non-astronomer) and trying to explain how big the Earth is in comparison so now I will show him this trhead...thanks :)

Thanks all :)

Robin, I had a sneaky nap before finishing the image, i.e. I feel asleep while watching TV :D Maybe I need to go to bed early and get up early and do a bit of processing before work! I'm much more of a morning person. Might give that a go...

Ant, I'm very lucky I can do some solar during the week and at home in Winter. I can't wait for Summer - not had much need for the suntan lotion recently :D

MoonNut, glad you caught it! The size of these huge proms never ceases to amaze me and I like that just before you look/image, you don't know what is waiting for you :)

Archived