Narrowband

Baader Hyperion 8mm eyepiece?

Hi all

I have heard that Baader eyepieces are great and i was wondering if a Baader Hyperion 8mm eyepiece would be a good investment. 

i was looking at the Baader zoom 8-24mm eyepiece but that is just too expensive, i have a Skywatcher 200p on a EQ5 mount. 

Would a 8mm be good for lunar / planetary viewing? or would it be out of focus?

i would love to be able to get some good views of Jupiter, Saturn and the Moon with some nice detail :)

Thank's in advance.

Harvey.

I to have a sw 200 on a cg5 mount and after checking on this forum the concenscus is that the hyper ions don,t perform well in an f5 scope,lots of coma towards the edge.I was recommended the bst star guider 8mm and so far I am happy with its performance and at £49 from Alan at skies the limit not a bad price,hope this helps

Jonn

I to have a sw 200 on a cg5 mount and after checking on this forum the concenscus is that the hyper ions don,t perform well in an f5 scope,lots of coma towards the edge.I was recommended the bst star guider 8mm and so far I am happy with its performance and at £49 from Alan at skies the limit not a bad price,hope this helps

Jonn

Thank's for the reply :)

i will look at that eyepiece, especially if its cheaper :)

Hi Harvey, the Baader Hyperions are pants on an f/5 scope, if you are looking for a decent upgrade then I would recommend the BST StarGuider 8mm, a cracking ep and good for planetary work: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.Xbst+starguider&_nkw=bst+starguider&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Thank's for the link, i'm glad i asked on hear or i would have been dissapointed when i got the Hyperion :)

i think im going to get the BST StarGuider 8mm, i hope i get some great views.

It may or may not be true that the BST is better in fast scopes than the Hyperion (I use both Hyperions and BST eyepieces of various focal lengths but I don't own anything as fast as f5 to check this out).  However, individuals have different tolerances of various aberrations so it might be worth getting hold of one to try it out yourself, or find someone nearby who has an f5 and a Hyperion.

Astigmatism varies both with f-number and eyepiece focal length?

http://www.telescope-optics.net/eyepiece_aberrations_1.htm (See table example)

A "2D" gradual process, rather than simply go / no-go. ;)

Hyperions are easy to buy... sell... buy again, according to circumstance. :)

(Hope to buy a "different" set (10, 17, 31 asp) this year, for my MAK 150). 

P.S. Often puzzles me... Vixen LVWs (the basis for Hyperions) are quite commonly

reputed to be "Good to f4". Not being antagonistic, simply wondering... 

P.S. Often puzzles me... Vixen LVWs (the basis for Hyperions) are quite commonly

reputed to be "Good to f4". Not being antagonistic, simply wondering... 

Hi Chris,

I posted a review a while back comparing the Hyperions to the LVW's. They are both nicely made eyepiece ranges and very similar in design and specification but the LVW's did show less astigmatism in the faster scopes than the Hyperions. The Vixen's do cost around twice as much per eyepiece though.

Here is the report on FLO's website:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/blog/vixen-lvw-vs-baader-hyperion-review.html

As to why this is the case, I guess it must be to do with the glass types used and the figuring and arrangement of the lenses within the LVW's being able to better handle the steep light cone of a faster scope.

"Often puzzles me... Vixen LVWs (the basis for Hyperions) are quite commonly reputed to be "Good to f4". Not being antagonistic, simply wondering..."

That's interesting because I actually don't get on with the LVW's - must be my eyes - maybe I should remove the shades lol. :)

Had an hour with the new 8mm tonight. Before its even in the scope you can tell its a different class to the e.p's supplied with the scope. Yes, everybody is right on here, it is a brilliant eyepiece. Concentrated on jupiter with it being in a really good position and had my best views yet. Actually watched one moon (will find out on stellarium later which one)slowly appear from behind the planet. One thing it made obvious was that I need to perfect the colimation. Hard choice now though, more bst's or televue barlow.....

Had an hour with the new 8mm tonight. Before its even in the scope you can tell its a different class to the e.p's supplied with the scope. Yes, everybody is right on here, it is a brilliant eyepiece. Concentrated on jupiter with it being in a really good position and had my best views yet. Actually watched one moon (will find out on stellarium later which one)slowly appear from behind the planet. One thing it made obvious was that I need to perfect the colimation. Hard choice now though, more bst's or televue barlow.....

It's great to hear that you had a great time with your eyepiece, i was hoping to get mine this week but i got some dual axis motors instead. :)

It looks like i am going to have to wait a week or two untill i get one. I also ordered a Laser collimator which will be handy, Now i really want that ep hearing what views of jupiter and it's moon you got :) hopefully the skies clear so you can test it more.

As for more BST's or a Televue barlow,  the decision is your's :)

Glad I read the advice on here. I have a Skywatcher 200p Dob and want to upgrade my eyepieces and I'm also sure my scope is in need of collimation, but as I'm new to astronomy, I'm scared stiff of buggering things up . I've read that a Cheshire collimator is better than a laser one - any thoughts? And is collimating not as scary as it sounds .........

Glad I read the advice on here. I have a Skywatcher 200p Dob and want to upgrade my eyepieces and I'm also sure my scope is in need of collimation, but as I'm new to astronomy, I'm scared stiff of buggering things up . I've read that a Cheshire collimator is better than a laser one - any thoughts? And is collimating not as scary as it sounds .........

As for eyepeices and a Cheshire Collimator, i cant give any advice on them.

But i did get a laser collimator off of Amazon and today was the first time i have ever collimated a telescope :)

I can't belive how bad my mirrors were out of collimation, the laser didn't even hit the secondary mirror a second time but insted it hit the wall.

I just put the collimator in where the eyepiece sits, then adjusted the allen key bolts on the secondary mirror to reflect the dot of the laser inside the little ring on the primary mirror.

Once that was lined up, i then adjusted the big screws (not the little thin ones) on the back of the primary mirror so that the laser dot returns to where it came from (The actual lens that the laser is emmited from)

i then had to do the secondry mirror again but after i made fine adjustments to the allen key bolts, it was all in line and looked good.

I guess i will find out if it has worked the next time i use the scope :)  i'm sorry if that didn't make sense but i tried to explain as accurate as i could.

Here is a link to a video that you can follow: 

Archived