Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher motor focus vs Dual Speed Crayford

Hi everyone,

Having had an observing session cut really short by a busted motor focus hand control, it got me thinking about having a dual speed Crayford focuser instead.  No flimsy wires to come away from a circuit board ... no batteries required ... probably get the same degree of fine focus.  Only down side would be touching the eyepiece.

What do people think about a Crayford focuser vs the Skywatcher motor focus?   For info, I have a two-year old Skywatcher 200P.  If I did take the plunge and buy a Crayford, I would want to do a straight swap of the focuser and not have to drill any extra holes in the OTA.

Thanks

Pete 

If you get the Skywatcher upgrade focuser it's a straight swap , they are a big improvement on the stock ones ... or the Revelation focusers , exactly the same under a different badge ...  :smiley:

Personally I use the motor focuser on the DS focuser , essential I find for imaging , to be able to control from afar ...  :p

If you are just after dual speed then why not consider the Lacerta upgrade - it's a lot cheaper, easy to install, and very effective. :)

http://www.365astronomy.com/dual-speed-110-microfocus-upgrade-kit-for-skywatcher-crayford-focusers-p-2484.html

Thanks for the link.  Looks like a straight swap for the existing stock focuser.  

Following on from what Steve said about being able to control the focus from afar ... totally agree especially when imaging.  When the motor focuser is working properly it's so easy to change focus without knocking the scope ... which is what I always tend to do for some reason.

Pete

I can vouch for the Lacerta upgrade, it's well made and simple to install (n.b. you re use the screws one focus wheel and tension grub screw from the existing focuser).

Made a big difference for me.

Another thumbs up for the laceration upgrade, simple to install and very tidy, firm piece of kit. Build quality is good.

On another note, if you plan in keeping the 200P or a while I highly recommend the Moonlite CR2 + tube adapter kit. The adapter kit which you have to buy means you don't have to drill new holes in OTA. However if it's complete simplicity you're after then the lacerta or Skywatcher upgraded low profile focuser is easier.

Pete, I am no expert but I would go for the SW Auto Focuser every time. I use one on a 200P and on two refractors. It is just so easy to focus and refocus remotely as I have added a 6m cable. I am much more likely to check focus between subs while imaging too. Mine needed a bit of "adjustment" to get it to fit an Equinox 66 though!

I would worry about the alignment of a new focuser too because I am not that good at DIY..

Barry

Are you contemplating changing your focuser to a manual based on the fact your auto focuser snapped? The auto focuser is definitely better though, so just replace it?

Yes, it did cross my mind.  

I had everything set up ... clear (but very chilly) evening ... flask of hot drink ... camera at the ready ... all to be scuppered by two very flimsy wires.  The good news is that I repaired the handset last night (soldered the wires back on to the terminals and glued them in place for added strength) so I'm good to go again.  

It did get me thinking about buying another unit to have as a spare ... just in case.

Pete

I  

Archived