SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Collimating a Laser Collimator - Advice Pleeeze!

I bought a second-hand Next Generation laser collimator. I was hoping it would have instructions for collimating it but the seller said it didn't come with any and he's not collimated it himself. I've had a look on the Web about laser collimation generally and am a bit bemused. My collimator has rubber discs where I expected Allen key sockets. I wonder if they're just covers and I can pull them off with tweezers, but I don't want to risk it so I thought I'd ask you first! Here's a photo.

Alexxx

post-1704-0-48409600-1389646140_thumb.jp

I have the same model. You can pull the rubber out with tweezers - a bit messy and involved but you eventually get somewhere. Once removed you will find the Allen Key bolts that you are looking for and can then collimate your laser using some of the tips found on the internet.

Just make sure that when you do collimate it, it is held steady and cannot move of its own accord ( nasty little rascals these - they jump about when you're not watching them :grin: :grin: :evil: ).

Hope this helps,

Alan

Very many thanks guys. And many thanks for the collimation vid, Anthony! I've saved that to favourites. It will augment this one which I've used:

This is a great tutorial by Dion for collimating a laser collimator. Great gadget by our Steve!

Great little gadget.

Just a thought, instead of using the t-pieces of having to go out and buy them, how about using a bench vice? Opening it enough so its just small than the width of the laser for the laser to sit in it and you would be able to spin the collimator on the spot.

If that makes any sense what so ever?

Just a thought, instead of using the t-pieces of having to go out and buy them, how about using a bench vice? Opening it enough so its just small than the width of the laser for the laser to sit in it and you would be able to spin the collimator on the spot.

I've even used the top of my 'scope mount where the dovetail should normally sit. Strangely enough, the laser fits in there perfectly and allows me to rotate it and collimate it without further expense.

all the best,

Alan

Archived