Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 891....first light with the fully functioning 12 inch RC.

RobH

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Steve :smiley: .  At F5.2 you'll be able to grab data on this pretty quickly, but you'll have quite a small image.

I imaged this at a FL of 1635mm, so at F8, although slower, you'll get pretty much the same image scale, and the H9 is a very sensitive camera.

Shoot your colour binned 2x2 and it should all match up pretty well, although full resolution colour would be better.

What I like about the 460EX, as opposed to the 285 chip in my 16HR (the same as the H9), is that you still only have a pixel size of 9.08 microns when binned 2x2, which means that at longer focal lengths you don't sacrifice resolution, whereas the 285 chip gives a pixel size of 12.9 microns when binned....fine for around 2.2 meters fl and above, but sacrificing resolution below this.

Fantastic image Rob - its my favourite galaxy and the one object out there that has me thinking my little Borg needs a longer focal length companion... :)

James

James....I'd recommend the 10 inch GSO RC....they haven't suffered from the same problems that the 12's have, and you have a good choice of focal lengths, 2 metres at F8 and 1340mm at F5.4, using the AP reducer, which gives a completely flat field, certainly with the 460EX.

Hi Rob,

A nice shap image.

You say_

"Telescope. 12 inch custom Ritchey Chretien with GSO optics

(started life as a standard GSO, but very little of the original scope remains)"

I can't find it on your "Equipment" page.

What mods were done?

cheers

Allan

I originally looked at this on my phone & though "very nice" but now I've got it up on the big screen it's knockout.. 3 years in the making ay.... absolutely fantastic "first light"  well worth the wait!

Oh dear.. I think the lure of an RC for me is becoming inevitable..

"Telescope. 12 inch custom Ritchey Chretien with GSO optics

(started life as a standard GSO, but very little of the original scope remains)"

I can't find it on your "Equipment" page.

What mods were done?

cheers

Allan

Hi Allan. It's not on the website yet I'm afraid.....I need to spend some time and update my site but I'm currently full of flu and getting it together to post anything at all has been hard work!

Thanks for all the positive comments, it makes the effort worthwhile :-).

NGC 4565 eh? I got pic of the month back in 2008 in S@N magazine for the image I took of that with a 14 inch Meade, but I reckon this scope is much better so I may well go for it :-)

Hi Allan. It's not on the website yet I'm afraid.....I need to spend some time and update my site but I'm currently full of flu and getting it together to post anything at all has been hard work!

Thanks for all the positive comments, it makes the effort worthwhile :-).

Ok - get better soon.

I will be interested to see the mods.

cheers

Allan

Ok - get better soon.

I will be interested to see the mods.

cheers

Allan

Here is a link to some images of the new cell construction Allan, and the entire thread may be of interest to you.....

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/187671-gso-12-rc-dissambly/?p=2173431

And this is the scope.....this is before the main bits of work were done but it looks much the same.

I now have losmandy plates on the sides of the scope, as well as the top and bottom, as I plan to attach both of my 80mm scopes at some point.

post-1757-0-71769900-1390045894_thumb.jp

Here is a link to some images of the new cell construction Allan, and the entire thread may be of interest to you.....

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/187671-gso-12-rc-dissambly/?p=2173431

And this is the scope.....this is before the main bits of work were done but it looks much the same.

I now have losmandy plates on the sides of the scope, as well as the top and bottom, as I plan to attach both of my 80mm scopes at some point.

Thanks Rob,

great thread.

cheers

Allan

Rob,

This is right up there with some of the best images I've seen of this target.  I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that.

You'd probably need to be on a mountain in Chile to get much more detail.

You should probably include not just subframe durations and totals, but also hours collimating/stripping/modding/rebuilding/collimating/screaming/crying/collimating.  Or are you trying not to think about it.  I'm pretty sure they fixed Hubble quicker than this. :laugh:

Only joking.

Very hard earned this one, and kudos well-deserved.

Jack

Archived