Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p_winners.thumb.jpg.b3d48fd93cbd17bff31f578b27cc6f0d.jpg

rjc404

Jupiter 11 Jan from Coventry

Here's one of my efforts from 11th January as seeing was really good compared to what I've seen over the last few months.

Still trying to figure out planetary photography and this is just one of 20 runs (still got loads to process! Plus more to come if I get time). I think my focus was a bit better on this one as I managed to get really sharp on the moon and it's craters before moving back to Jupiter.

This one was taken through a Philips Toucam in a standard Skywatcher 2x barlow attached to my 150PL at 30FPS, full gain.

post-31280-0-13989700-1389599745_thumb.j

If anyone has any ideas on a better barlow for my scope that would get better results let me know (2x, 3x, 5x?)

Thanks for looking,

Rob

That's pretty good. A 150PL with 2x Barlow gives F/16. The chip of the Toucam can quite reasonably be used at F/25 on Jupiter. A 3x would be closest. The Bresser SA Barlow 3x is one of the best (I have the older Meade incarnation and like it)

Thanks for the info. I really need to investigate barlows so I'll look up your suggestion.

Cheers

Rob

You could simply use an extension tube to increase your 2x to 3x. I use an old barlow with the lens screwed off as an extension. Drawing the cam nose piece out of the barlow will also add some focal length.

Very nice image btw!

Cheers for the comments, appreciated. 

I was using the old cam nose piece as far out of the barlow trick as far as I could.

If I go down the extension tube route is there any formula to work out how much extension you need to make a 2x into 3x? Or is it just guesswork?

I'll probably invest in a new barlow though as the Skywatcher 2x barlow that came with my scope probably isn't the greatest piece of glass.

Oh and Houston, south-west Coventry.

Rob

Nice jupiter rob. You know what the next question is! Where's the best spots around here?

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Richard - Houston ,  no idea to be honest what the best spots are around the Coventry area as I've only viewed and imaged from my suburban back garden dodging lights from neighbors curtains until they go to bed. The Ryton area is probably good. Coombe Abbey maybe if a bit more local? I'm generally too lazy to cart my scope anywhere other than my garden.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sky-searcher
      This is not a detailed write up of my session last night, but got to see the two planets that have been on my astronomy bucket list since starting this hobby at the start of the year. Didn’t hold out much hope for last night as the weather & clear skies apps both predicted cloud cover by midnight. I had put my Mak127 in the garage to cool at 8pm & kept my fingers crossed! Some clouds started to roll in at 10pm, so was not hopeful. By 11pm there was a clear spot, so setup the tripod & scope & took a look at the moon. Even with a moon filter it was extremely bright, showing good crater detail on it’s shadowy edge. Jupiter had also risen & took a look for the 1st time. I was amazed, a bright disc & 4 moons visible. 1st views were with my 8mm BST star guider at 187x. Placed in my 15mm BST to give me 100x & the view was bettered due to the conditions & height of the planet. Tried several different filters (green, yellow, red, etc) & finally got the best views with a light pollution filter showing 2 bands on Jupiter. With the sky holding out I decided to wait for Saturn to rise as wouldn’t be to far behind. At 12.30 a small bright light rose above the distant tree line in the SE. Moved the scope & to my amazement my 1st every view of Saturn! I could clearly make out the planet & its discs. At 1am I am lucky the the street lights turn off in the north of the Isle of Man, turning my Bortle 4 into a 1 or 2. But the brightness of the moon lit the sky. Had to drag my self to bed at 2am. Great night trying out my new equipment ( Mak127, dielectric diagonal & Giaz mount ) which performed brilliant & seeing Saturn & Jupiter topped it off. Hopefully many more clear skies as there hasn’t been many lately! 
    • By Astrofriend
      If you ever come to Sweden there is an interesting model of our solar system here, it covers the whole country. They started to build this model in late 1990s and my teacher in astronomy prof Gösta Gahm was one of them who started this project.
      In May 2019 I was invited by Gösta to participate of the installation of Jupiter version 2 at Sky City in Stockholm. I took som photos and did a report from that event. If you find it interesting to read you find it here:
      http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/astronomy-articles/sweden-solar-system-jupiter-2019/sweden-solar-system-jupiter.html
      ps.
      There are of course a lot of other interesting things to visit and see in Sweden!
      /Lars
    • By Stephen L
      Both taken on the same morning from my hotel balcony in Fuerteventura April 2019. Using a star adventurer a Skywatcher 127 Mak, 2x barlow and 4k video on an EOS M50
    • By Cosmic Geoff
      First good results with newly purchased ASI224MC camera.  Using: CPC800, ASI224MC (USB3), ZWO IR cut filter, ZWO ADC.
      Conditions: planets low (15 deg or lower), near full moon, some haze.  Time : around 04.40 BST.
      A few hours earlier I tried Mars but the results were poor asides for demonstrating the higher frame rate available with the new camera.
      In case you are wondering (as I was) what the difference is between an ASI224MC and an ASI120MC,  the former does not appear to be any more sensitive so far as I could see (exposures no shorter) but the potential frame rate even with USB2 is higher.  And the ASI224 has a deeper body for some reason.  And this set of Saturn images is clearly my best ever.

• By Kronos831
      Hey guys. Thought about  starting this thread. I feel like we all should inform eachother and newer members alike about the magngifications that can be achieved on planets,that provide the best sharpness/size ratio,depending on the scope and seeing. After this thread has grown a bit, i feel like this should be pinned,as to provide a little guide to newer members that are not experienced with planetary observing,as many will be fooled with the typical 50x per inch of aperture and get disappointed when they find that that image will be dim and blurry.
      For my 8” F/6 Sky-Watcher Dob
      For Saturn i like to use 150x in medium seeing and if i want something a bit bigger , switch to 240x ,which will give me a bigger,but blurrier image.iBut In good seeing, i found that 240x was very usable.When we have perfect conditions, i m certainly trying 300x.
      Mars, isnt very big in the sky right now,so even at high magnifications like 300x it still appears as a small orange dot. For observing mars,I suggest waiting for it to reach opposition.It benifits hugely from it! However,this happens once every 2 years....But 5ere are other planets to keep you occupied until then, such as jupiter,saturn and   Venus.
      For Venus, i use 50-100-120 depending on its phase.
      For  Jupiter, i like to use 150x, as it provides a very sharp image,with key features of the planet such as bands being very detailed.Waiting on my 6mm UWA Skywatcher to bring it to 200 and see how that plays out. Be careful! Don’t magnify jupiter too much, as it will loose much of its features and sharpness.
      Neptune and Uranus: These two will not impress, but are certainly have a nice colour to them. Even ar high magnifications, such as 300x and 400x, they will look like small discs with color in them.Uranus will look be colored green and Neptune a fainter blue.
      Mercury About mercury...Havent gotten the chance to observe it ,so the guys will have to inform you about that?
      Feel free to give your own opinions as to give members a wider source of information to help them observe better ! 
      Cheers and clear skies.
      Kronos

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.