Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eq2 improvements

SW130p

Hi been trying to figure a way of stiffening the wobbly tripod legs on the eq2.

If you try to move the tripod at the where the mount bolts to it flexes quite a bit, watching carefully where the movements are I set to work on improving it.

First off I tightened all the screws and bolts on the legs, bit better but still wobbly.

It still could be better, I noticed that all the legs still move a lot and found it was due to the rubber feet on the spiked feet, the rubber don't cover the plastic feet all the way so there's a bit of a gap which it's where it flexes so I removed the 3 rubbers of, so much better and less movement. I then saw that the single leg that slides between the two outer ones moved about. I used two cable ties per leg and wrapped one at the top just below about 1"where the single leg ends and one in the centre, pulled very tight to lock the three parts together creating a solid leg but still able to slide up and down.

Next the three spider supports for the centre tray moves about a bit where it joins the legs, there's gaps either side of the bolt which slides about, I just put some washers between to fill the gaps and tightened back up.

Now the tripod base is rock solid, with the mount put back on its so much better he only thing that still flex is the RA part of the mount, probably due to the small diameter shaft. Not much I can do there. It settles faster and more stable.

I might fill the legs with sand or something to add some damping and weight.

so overall happy with the improvements done and recommend to anyone with the sky walker eq2 to do the same.

Thanks for reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the flimsy aluminium tripod that came with my eq3-2, filled it up with sand and expanding foam, it's now wobble free.

It was well worth the hassle, you can pick up a small bag of fine sand from your local DIY store.

Archived