Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Grab and go refractor: SW Startravel 120 or 102 thoughts

I used a William Optics VR-1 filter with a 150mm F/8 achromatic refractor for a while and that did reduce the CA fringing around bright objects by around 50%. That filter also added a yellowish tint to the image that I was not keen on though. 

I think the reality is that fast achromats show CA, it's unavoidable. Some folks find in more distracting than others rather like the coma aberration that newtonans show. They are CA free though !

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been reading this thread with interest, and must admit I'm getting tempted to purchase a ST102. And this is after me wanting to save up for Helios Apollos 15x70's! (out of stock at FLO at present, I know).

Obviously cheaper. But I've been using my monopod with my 25 year old Jenoptem 10x50W's, and although steadier than hand held, still find it a bit fiddly to use. I wonder if I should just take a step up from what are obviously well regarded Helios binos to something between my 10x50's and my sadly neglected Celestron C8 Classic (blue tube).

Something as simple as this setup as a 'grab and go' option takes me back to using my original Tasco lensed 50mm refractor! Having something to jump out into the back garden and use very quickly appeals to me. I'm wondering if this would be a better option than the Helios Apollos?

I know the short focal length of the ST102 means that it probably needs a Barlow supplementing the supplied eyepices to see something clearly on Jupiter. If I went ahead and got one, would the Barlow on sale at FLO here...

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-eyepieces/skywatcher-deluxe-2x-barlow.html

...suffice, or do owners of the ST102 recommend something else?

Mark

Just a quick report back. I've been able to use the 120 three times now, literally as a grab and go ... And thank goodness from that as I've had limited time to spare because of work or cloud cover. The 120 has been perfect... Light and easy to carry outside, no need for a long cool-down time.

The first time I took it out for 5 minutes at 5.45am to catch a quick look at Jupiter before the rain set in.

Last night I actually found the Andromeda galaxy despite light pollution, plus one of its smaller galactic stablemates. My best ever views of it through my BST 18 and 12mm. I also had super views of the Orion nebula and surrounding area, plus the nebula in Gemini's foot (M35?). Sadly I couldn't't find the Rosette nebula... Still finding my way around!

Jupiter was clear and bright... Yes there was a fair bit of CA, with some purple fringing, but you know what... I didn't care at all. I knew CA would be obvious but for the price/deep-sky ability it is worth it. I must admit I have already invested in a more substantial SW dielectric diagonal, which is very bright.

The mount isn't great but it is grab and go... I do feel I'm having to manhandle the telescope to move it into the right position. And the azimuth slow-mo control bangs into the finder scope (it is quite stiff and springs back sharply if let go) at any kind of elevation. The red dot finder supplied is fine but delicate and the aforementioned slow-mo control knocks it out of alignment easily. I prefer using a spare SW 9x50 finder, though I need to be a contortionist!

But apart from that I am VERY pleased and am enjoying my 'snatched' viewing more than I did with binoculars (though I will still use my 17x50s)

Proud owner of a ST102 here and I'm very pleased with it!

CA can be noticeable but was aware that this might be an issue before purchasing but it's not as bad as some reviews make out. Tempted to buy a fringe killer to see what difference it would make but that's just for curiosity as I can live without it.

Scope is nice and lightweight and with little cool down time needed, you can be out viewing in no time.

There was a barlow supplied with my scope (from FLO) which is identical to the one a previous poster linked above and again, it does the job.

Avoid the EQ1 mount as, in my opinion, it really isn't up to the job of even supporting a little scope like the 102 and mine keeps jamming and sticking spoiling my evening fun and WILL be replaced very soon!

Archived