Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter 11th Jan - 1st attempt with barlow

HAL9000

Second night out with the new ASI120MC, this time tried it with a 2x barlow. Pleased with the results, was planning on capturing the great red spot later on but I got too cold to continue!

- SW 180Pro Mak, 2x barlow, ASI120MC, 50 seconds, processed in AS!2, Registax 6, Photoshop.

I think I should try longer captures next time e.g. 2-3 minutes.

post-21634-0-02384000-1389528767.jpg

Both good images although I think I prefer the second one and it looks like you've picked up a bit of detail on Callisto.... well done!  :smiley:

I'd definitely recommend longer captures, it should help to reduce the noise as you'll be able to include more frames in your final stack.

Nice shots, longer captures will give you a step up in quality for sure. Fingers crossed for some clear sky for you.

You mentioned sky safari on your comment on my image - if you use Stelarium you can forecast when the GRS or shadow transits will take  place.

Thanks for the tip - I use Stellarium with EQmod to control my mount, with Sky Safari pro on the iPhone which is good when I don't want to touch the laptop whilst imaging! How do you get the forecasts in Stellarium?

Thanks for the tip - I use Stellarium with EQmod to control my mount, with Sky Safari pro on the iPhone which is good when I don't want to touch the laptop whilst imaging! How do you get the forecasts in Stellarium?

I just run the timeline forward :) I usually only do it just before going out to observe so I can see if there are going to be anu transits to look at or image. I don't plan any further forward because the disappointment when it's cloudy is too depressing!

Archived