SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M42 through a GOTO Dob

Thought I would share my first go at imaging M42 with my 250mm DOB

Posted Image

Limited to taking 5s sub's - so as a test image I took 5x5s at iso 3200 and stacked with deep sky stacker

Any comments/advice would be welcome

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments - was trying out the new camera my wife gave me for Christmas (EOS 70D).

Not sure how many dark frames to take - I know they should be the same exposure as the sub's and at the same temp, but is one enough?

Also how do I go about taking flats and again how many?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Flats are taken with a clear patch of light sky with the same equipment and focus that you has for your images, these are normally shot in auto mode to expose the sky but need to be bright but not over exposed.

The number of flats and darks need to be about the same as your images unless you take 100s then 20 or so will do.

Alan

Thanks for advice - next time its clear I'm planning to get back out and have an other go.

Downloaded BackyardEOS yesterday (30day free trial so probably 30days of cloud).

Thinking I will try and get alot more subs and some darks/flats

Was also wondering if anyone had any suggestions for other targets that I might be able to image, bearing in mind the short length of the subs due to AZ mount

Many thanks again

I think it would be worth having a go with anything you enjoy looking at visually if its a wider target than your scope can manage you can allways stitch images together so Andromeda galaxy perhaps?

Keep at it though you are taking good pictures which you can say "I did that".

Alan

Thanks for advice - next time its clear I'm planning to get back out and have an other go.

Downloaded BackyardEOS yesterday (30day free trial so probably 30days of cloud).

Thinking I will try and get alot more subs and some darks/flats

Was also wondering if anyone had any suggestions for other targets that I might be able to image, bearing in mind the short length of the subs due to AZ mount

Many thanks again

and also it could be better to reduce ISO level.

I think 1600 should be enough because M42 is quiet bright and your scope is a nice beast :)

Archived