Narrowband

Hello from Warwickshire

New Star Gazers

Hello,

Just wanted to introduce ourselves to everyone, we are collectively as a family venturing into the unknown yet exciting depths of Astronomy. There are five of us in total. My husband and I, and our three young children ages 7, 5 and 2. I will have to admit we are complete novices, however we have always been interested in the subject and as the children are learning more at school and becoming more inquisitive in how the universe works around us we thought we would take a big leap forward. 

Look forward to talking to you all...

xx

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi to you all, and welcome to the lounge,

I think it's wonderful when the whole family gets involved,

especially the children, you will need more than one scope

when the observing begins.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Welcome to the group.

Some of the best advice I was given on here for a beginner , if you haven't found it yet, is to download 'Stellarium' for your computer and start clicking on the various options on the screen to find your way around the skies. If you also have an android device, 'Sky Map' is very similar, and portable. Both these programmes are free.

Welcome to the group.

Some of the best advice I was given on here for a beginner , if you haven't found it yet, is to download 'Stellarium' for your computer and start clicking on the various options on the screen to find your way around the skies. If you also have an android device, 'Sky Map' is very similar, and portable. Both these programmes are free.

Thank you, that is great we will definitely download those.

And yes Ron, I think it will be wonderful for the children to be involved. 

Claire

hello , im down the road (Redditch) welcome to the forums . :grin:

Hello Rory, that's great, we are just going through the difficult process of finding a half decent scope. We are currently thinking of the Celestron Astromaster EQ-MD or the Sky Watcher 130EP. Are there any local groups you meet with?

Claire

Hi, New Star Gazers, and welcome to SGL!  I would second downloading 'Stellarium' as a help to discovering what is in the night sky and where to find it. The programme is also great for children as it helps not only locating objects, but also the art work and zooming features can capture their imagination as well (it did for my 8 year old nephew, anyway!!)

Good luck and best wishes for your new journey.

Martin

Hello Rory, that's great, we are just going through the difficult process of finding a half decent scope. We are currently thinking of the Celestron Astromaster EQ-MD or the Sky Watcher 130EP. Are there any local groups you meet with?

Claire

I don't meet with any local groups at the moment , never plucked up enough  courage unfortunately :huh:

however theres  a local astro group in both Redditch and Bromsgrove , droitwich too. 

Hi,

It's so nice that you and your family are looking at the stars. It is the most important subject to mankind even though few realise its importance.

At 64 I started watching stars last year. The grand children are not really interested and do not realise what they are missing.

I went to a meeting in Chichester to learn the following.

If you excelerate at 1.4 G continuously for 16.5 years, you would reach the nearest star but back on earth 9.9 million years would have past.

I do not understand this but if this is not COOL than I do not know what is.

Have fun, life is not a rehearsal, we are only here the once.

Regards.

Graham

Archived