SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

It's coming soon! 20" Dob

Yes the time has nearly arrived!  My 20" f3.3 will be ready on the 10th Feb.  

It's being made in France by Sky Vision.  http://www.skyvision.fr/wordpress/telescope/compact/?lang=en

I am only 5' 7" and hate ladders or even steps hence the f3.3.

Gotta go dow to Bordeaux to pick it though as I don't trust the postie with this one.  In time for Kelling thank goodness.  Will post more when I get my mits on it.

Clem

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome to the forum  :smiley:

Sounds an amazing scope - it would be great if you could post some pictures of it when it arrives and let us know how you are getting on with it.

Presumably this is not your first scope though ?

Interesting website  :smiley:

I had to smile at the translation here though  :smiley: :

"To insure a perfect control over the whole production chain and be able to guarantee the best delays possible, we have started producing our own optics, with the same quality commitment as to the rest of our products...."

Mind you my French is not that great !

Interesting website  :smiley:

I had to smile at the translation here though  :smiley: :

"To insure a perfect control over the whole production chain and be able to guarantee the best delays possible, we have started producing our own optics, with the same quality commitment as to the rest of our products...."

Mind you my French is not that great !

Maybe they do mean it? Since they've had quite delays :evil:  :grin:  

I guess a BEST delay is one you can anticipate with the most accuracy. I mean nothing is worse than a surprise delay.If you can be sure that it will always take 3 weeks, it is not a problem. 

Thank you all for your comments. 

No it isn't my first scope, I’ve had many throughout my life.  Currently own a Celestron CPC 11" SCT (heavily modified) and an Apo.  Would have gone for a 20" Dob years ago had there been high quality f3.3 mirrors then.

This particular scope all the boxes for me.

1. Light.  Mainly Aluminium and Carbon Fibre. 
  2. Easily fit in the back of my car
  3. F3.3  2” thick mirror
  4. No ladder
  5. Rigid
  6. Etc.

Here are a couple of YouTube links.  Just found the one from The International Astronomy Show.  It’f featured right at the end.  The other vid is just a promo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWOSphZyF9Q&list=FLx95qgCjxy70rw50ApaDj5g&index=14

SkyVision : The sky in High Resolution

The French chap at the International Astronomy Show is the only one who can speak English.  No one else can speak a word at the workshop.

The website translation leaves room for interpretation and has some errors.  I got them to commit in writing that the mirror will be at least a tenth wave PTV with a minimum Strehl ratio of 0.96.  That’s pretty fantastic for such a fast mirror and when held rigidly should give some great planetary views.

The mirror goes off to Airy Labs for testing at the end of the month and I’ll have the results then.

Will post pictures and observing reports ASAP.  Will be in the Red zone at Kelling in March.

Clem

They seem to have taken the Obsession line of Ultra Compacts to a new level. Lighter, stiffer and better mirror protection. All the Dobs are ready to install Skycommander and GOTO, this makes it easier to install them later if required. Mine comes with Skycomander.

I'm getting the grand tour of the workshops when I travel down to pick it up.

Clem

Archived