SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Considering what to get next

AstroJon

At the moment I have a Heritage 130p and apart from the 25mm and 10mm that came with it I also have a 5mm BST Starguider. Now that I am happy with the collimation I'm very happy with the BST (the kids especially like looking through the moon with this eyepiece) and am considering what to get next.

I am also taking into account that at some point (although realistically not for several months at least) going to get a larger scope and it will more likely than not be a 10" dob.

I am therefore looking at eyepieces that will work nicely with a larger dob but that I can also use with the Heritage. My current plans are a combination of BSTs and Maxvisions but am not yet sure which ones.

I like the look of the 24mm MV and am also considering the 16mm MV. However with the Heritage this will give x27 and x40 and with the dob x50 and x75 and am thinking this might be a little too close in magnification.

As for BSTs, I will probably get the 8mm and maybe the 12mm.

I guess the question is given the scope I have (and am thinking of getting) would a 15mm BST or 16mm MV be a better choice?

When you put it that way the choice seems obvious :grin:

Yes, I have been looking at pictures and weights for the MVs and they do seem on the large size! I've seen posts on here though that suggests the Heritage is sturdier than it looks and can handle these eyepieces without any issues.

Thanks for the help!

By all accounts the bst 'a are well regarded even with the faster dob . But I would get the. 24 mm MV . It will show the same amount of sky as a 32mm plossl . Then I'd simply stick with the bst for other focal lengths, something like a 12 and 15 , unless you planning on a Barlow lens , then a little pre planning is in order.

How do you find the 5 mm bst in the heritage ?

Initially I was struggling a little with the 5mm but I suspected (or rather hoped) it was a combination of collimation and seeing. I'm now happy with the collimation and I can finally say I've had some amazing views with it.

Tonight for example Jupiter was a nice clearly focused disc showing multiple bands whilst the moons looked like pin pricks and I also had some stunning views of the moon, albeit with a little discolouration at the very edge but for a £50 eyepiece I wouldn't expect a perfect image across the entire field of view. I was also able to see 4 stars in Sigma Orionis whilst Castor looked especially nice, 2 bright stars with a tiny amount of clear black space between them.

I've heard the BSTs are good with faster dobs and since I can't ever see myself being able to afford a case full of green and black eyepieces I am considering just having a mixture of BSTs and an MV or 2.

Actually, I haven't been considering a barlow but after thinking about it I could see a use for one especially with the Heritage. One thing that has been putting me off though is I understand some barlows have problems focusing with the Heritage, does anyone know of a barlow that will work well with this scope?

My first barlow was some unnamed one from teleskop-express and it gave me horrible chromatic aberration. Then I got one from televue  and it is like magic. It really makes the image better. Seems that it makes is easier for eyepieces to tolerate fast scopes. 

Archived