Canon EF 200mm F2.8 lens

kreekineez

I wonder if anyone can help…? I am relatively new to this fascinating pastime and have so much to learn but every session I manage something else so I am making progress - albeit slowly, but what;s the rush….

I have a Celestron C9.25 SGT set up and that's more than enough for my limited knowledge right now. I am also trying some very basic astrophotography mostly using my Canon 40D and that's where I am seeking advice or recommendations. I have been advised to try a 200mm F2.8 lens rather than my 70-300mm zoom and would welcome any views or comments from other members sharing their personal experiences and preferences.

The camera will be attached to the telescope via T adapters although I sometimes set the camera up on a separate stand alone tripod.

It is the Canon 200 L Series F2.8 lens that people rave about - it is an excellent lens for our purposes but needs to be stopped down to F4 to reduce chromatic aberration and improve peripheral star shapes. Prime lenses always outperform their zoom counterparts under the extremes of astro-photography.

Here is a picture of mine attached to an astro CCD camera:-

canon_adapter_5.jpg

The 200 is a great lens for the cash. I don't have one anymore as I have the 70-200is ii but oxtail recommend the 200 prime if you don't have the need or cash of the zoom.

I do also have a 200f2 which is a complete beast but I have not used this for any astro stuff.

Archived