Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Did you ever.....

Damo636

...buy the same eyepiece 3x times, to be fully sure you made the right decision twice before? Well, I'm now on my 3rd!! 6mm BGO and not really any further forward as to whether I love or hate it? On one hand, I feel like its surgically attached to my eye after coming from the 8mm Ethos! On the other hand, last night it shows me fleeting glimpses of Sirius B at 254x, which is a personal best

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damo,

At least it is only a BGO and that I guess will not break the bank, it is a good job it was not your 21mm Ethos that you had to buy 3 times. But to answer the question no I have never bought an eyepiece more than once, apart from the 24mm Panoptic, I have two of them but forgot to buy the binoviewer.

Alan

I've owned the Nagler 3-6 zoom twice and several BGO 6mm's. I agree that the latter is a superb eyepiece, possibly the best BGO to my eyes (and they are all darn good !). I find it's the best Sirus B eyepiece for me too.

In the past I've re-bought the 13mm and 5mm T6 Naglers a couple of 24mm Panoptics and, further back, I've had at least two 35mm Celestron Ultimas.

I hope Damo is not missing his 21mm Ethos too much  :rolleyes2:

I do find myself thinking about selling the hyper / ultrawides and going for a TV Plossl / BGO set and investing the difference in a scope but, so far, I've resisted on the grounds that I feel the wide field junkie still lives on in me :smiley:

When did this happen?...and was there a report I missed:/?

You must have missed the report mate! I decided in the end the 21 Ethos was completely rubbish & John very kindly offered to take it off my hands!

Seriously though...

Hopefully when I buy that TV Delos on my list once, I know I am pretty much guaranteed that consistent quality, I may pay more, but that is what I pay for if I am not mistaken, I have no intention of getting it 3 times :0).   One thing I have no intention of doing is selling an eyepiece, at least for the time being, so far I haven't.   You never know, backups are useful, if you have people come around after a drink using some of your cheaper ones, a holiday set, my BSTs would be perfect for the travel scope where I may not want to bring them all when I get more or some overlaps.

I have a 10mm super MA, a 10mm super plossl by SW and a pentax 10.5, the money I get for the first two would be hardly worth it, and I like playing around with them from time to time, do some experiments to learn how they really differ. 

These days, with all the reports on web forums like SGL and the ease with which astronomers can share information, buying a piece of equipment is much less of a step into the unknown than it was when the only source of information, if you were not in a society, was a monthly magazine that may or may not feature the bit of kit in question at some time, the Sky at Night programme that never really made specific equipment recommendations and what dealers published in their catalogues. 

It's much easier to make informed choices now :smiley:

I have bought and sold then bought again the following:

11mm TV plossl

7mm BGO

12.5mm BGO

I'll be keeping them now I think. Sometimes as I realistically have to sell something to buy something these days, I sell things that I can replace fairly easily. this applied to the BGOs at the time but not any more I suspect so next time it would be more likely a TV plossl but I currently have no intention of selling anything; my eyepiece kit has remained pretty stable for a while now.

Damo,

You sold your Ethos 21mm, after all you said to me about it and then talked me into buying one. Well John and I have something in common, we both own a Damo eyepiece, I still have the 14mm Delos and use it a great deal, it's a Damo good eyepiece.

Alan.

I sold a 12.5mm BGO (to Shane), which I do regret! At the time I needed the cash. Couldn't re-buy at a sensible price so I now have a Hutech which is great, but stands out a little amongst the other BGOs.

I have also bought and sold two binoviewers, plus pairs of eps including 24mm Panoptics. Just didn't seem to get on with them each time, I think my eyes are too unequal in the image they give for me to get on with BV's. The Pana's were used, so didn't lose much on them.

I'm learning to be less impulsive now, plus understanding more about the kit I really use, and need/want.

Stu

Sounds like my New Years Resolution !  :rolleyes2:

I'm learning to be less impulsive now, plus understanding more about the kit I really use, and need/want.

Stu

.. and on that note I will go and order an astro hutech 6mm to hone my non glasses narrow FOV viewing, those orthos have been tempting me for various reasons from what I read. The only way to learn is to buy and use, just reading about them is not enough. To me that sounds like a good new year resolution :grin:

The only orthos that tempt me are 25mm ones (they have 20mm eye relief). I sold a circle T 0.965" type along with my 6" Newt (yes, I know, I shouldn't have). I sometimes wonder if an EP like that would allow me to see just that bit deeper than my Nagler 22T4. Maybe it is better to get a 12" dob instead.

Sounds like my New Years Resolution !  :rolleyes2:

Mine is just accept that I'm going to spend more. Surprisingly I have bought anything new since the end of November when I declared 'No more spending until March'. Looking at my bank statement is getting rather nice.

I'll join the club.  I am going to spend more this year of that I have no doubt. On a more serious note, and buying at a sensible pace, I am not buying that ortho because I am boring and broke after Xmas anyway :D,  even with the temptation that is there, it would have to be a try before you buy and then decide.

I do have a road map what I think I am going to buy this year, possibly two eyepieces in the first half, Delos 14mm ( may be 17.3)  pentax XW 7mm, in no order I've decided on yet, but the saving has begun :smiley: Should a used Radian turn up I may squeeze that in too.

Selling eyepieces....sorry I don't understand???

Oh & I'm another member of the ex-Damo eyepiece club :)

Ok guy's, guilty as charged I'm a serial seller  :grin:  

When I think back, I have bought and sold quite a few eyepieces, but it's all part of the fun of this hobby as far as i'm concerned. I rarely buy new though so as to recoup most, if not all of the initial outlay (although I have to admit getting burned once or twice :rolleyes: ) 

Alan

I think if I recall correctly, I told you that the 21 Ethos was one, if not "the" best eyepiece I've ever used, and would never sell it!  All I can say is, the latter still holds through  :grin:

Archived