Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars - Would You Take a One Way Trip??

brantuk

Given accommodation with basic comforts, I myself (plus cat!) can survive on £30 a week? lol. I could (perhaps?) hack the solitude - Fair bit of practice! But it's no good sending (a few?) "creaking gates" (me) on long missions - Much as I might be tempted? Recycled waste means you would ALL have to share my dodgy cocktail of "old-people" medication - A subject interestingly explored in a past BBC "Space Odyssey" drama? As mentioned on "Star Gazing Live", you can get on with the most "awful" people for weeks, months... But years, decades? I sense ironically, highly opinionated TV scientists particularly wouldn't work well! [teasing] :p

Aside: As a 70's kid, I dreamed of Inter-Stellar "Arks", calculations re. potential propulsive systems etc. Town-Sized "Starships" full of *ordinary* (psychologically solid?) people drifting selflessly for thousands(+) of years at sub-light speeds in the hope that their descendants MIGHT reach somewhere worthwhile. Maybe I should stop watching BBC4 reruns of "Henrix@Woodstock"! After all, doubtless to be *overtaken* by some... nose-thumbing, intergalactic "Jeremy Clarkson" speeding by at 90% the speed of light... Sign of the times, I fear? :D

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have zero problems with any aspect of this proposal, in fact we should be doing more of these things no matter where the funding comes from and almost certainly we should be funding science in all areas more.

If it is clear that people know of the risks and they have no problem with it then why should the public?

Would I do it?

Well yes I'd love to however these days I wouldn't be to keen on leaving my family as they are by far the most important people to me. So if life had panned out different then I may jumped at the opportunity.

I'm more of aRobinson family type these days but until the advent of more habitable space ships and slightly camp robots with flailing arms I can wait.

Another reason we should be on the Moon too by now. Makes more sense than Mars to be honest and would make further exploration a touch easier.

Shame all the NASA plans were cut out of spite more than anything although with what has happened to the economy since it would of got the chop anyway.

I just don't understand these volunteers. Do they realise they are going to live in what is effectively a vacuum and will have to spend the rest of their lives inside one sort or another of a pressure vessel?

OK for a few people doing research or mining, but not for a lifetime! Live and die inside a tin can? No thanks!

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

What if one of the crew members were a murderer and hunt down everyone in the crew in the space station on mars  :laugh: Lol, and you were the last one alive, scary...

then you would be the murderer :D.

Its a no from me, why would you want to leave beautiful Earth, a planet that has every thing we ever want and need, a planet that has food, diverse life forms, a pleasant climate with a good breathable atmosphere, friends family.

Our little rock is the very thing we as a species search for in the universe, we really have it good here, yet people want to send  "pilgrims" to Mars, an uninhabited dust bowl, with a view to terraforming, a plan that will fail, sorry but count me out

How do you think they should deal with a situation where someone was injured or ill beyond hope of recovery, even putting the remainder of the crew at greater risk of death?  This is the sort of question that someone will have to answer if they go.  There are a lot of really unpleasant and drawn-out ways to die   :( Would you suggest that we don't go until that eventuality is exceptionally unlikely?  Are there any other options?

I believe heat kills most bacteria etc... you could always cook them :grin:  yum yum, 2 birds with 1 stone maybe.

I see this as an example of our natural instinct to explore the unknown. Without that instinct the human race would never have left the jungles of Africa never mind had an eye on a trip to Mars. If there are still people with that instinct despite all the creature comforts and attained knowledge that we have today then I say let them get on with it. The research that goes into and the inventions that will spring from the process of making it happen will benefit all of us.

...and if there is a seat for a 48 year old with high blood pressure, dodgy knees and a Scottish diet I'm willing to give it a go :wink:

I'm all for freedom of choice for everyone.

The problem with this one way trip to Mars is that it's not about advancing science for the good of all life on Earth, it's a commercial venture by those that are after the same old monetary profit. It's that that will get in the way of what ort to be paramount (keeping the guinea pigs alive and well).

But, it's their choice, if they are willing to do that to themselves, then by all means. It's not up to anyone else to decide another persons life choices and chosen fate.

Theirs only one guarantee in life, if they really don't mind it coming early then so be it. I only hope the company supplies the means for them to do what may well be required at the end of the day to do it in a painless way.

Its a no from me, why would you want to leave beautiful Earth, a planet that has every thing we ever want and need, a planet that has food, diverse life forms, a pleasant climate with a good breathable atmosphere, friends family.

Our little rock is the very thing we as a species search for in the universe, we really have it good here, yet people want to send  "pilgrims" to Mars, an uninhabited dust bowl, with a view to terraforming, a plan that will fail, sorry but count me out

i agree, i think the reality of living on mars would kick in quite quickly and a deep sense of isolation and

homesickness  not to mention boredom would be hard to deal with especially without any prospect of a return

journey. however if there was a return flight to Earth on offer  i'd wager that after a few months most of them would jump

on it. we should wait until we  at least have a damn good chance of getting people there and back safely.

one way trips should not be an option.

Archived