Need a little help regarding getting started

Larley81

Hi all! I hope someone can help, I've got a pair of binoculars from my father in law who sadly passed away two years ago.

My husband dug them out when our little 6 year old asked to look at the sky after watching Stargazing live. Only thing is I'm not sure if they're the right tool for the job, what we are likely to spot (we live in Millwall, right by the Mudchute in eest london) and what to look out for specifically.

The binoculars we have are Bresser Action ones and are 20x50.

Unfortunately this is all the info we have on them! I've added a photo if this helps any. Thanks in advance and please excuse my sons shoe in the pic haha! :)

Hi and welcome to the forum. Binoculars are a great tool to learn the skies and are very capable in helping you locate objects of interest and your particular configuration (10x50) is ideal for astronomy as it will good wide views capturing plenty of light. To that end you might want to consider taking a look at this site which provides more helpful info on binoculars as well as a suggested monthly target list of objects to find. On the subject of finding good objects you might also want to consider downloading a free piece of planetarium software called Stellarium. It has lots of great features to play with and you can calibrate it to match your observation point (e.g back garden) and it then will produce an identical night sky to the one you can see from this same position. All you need do is type in the chosen object (Jupiter would good right now) an the planetarium will show you where it is. One other idea is a book called "Turn Left at Orion" which also lists around 100 objects for users to find who own small scopes or binoculars. Hope that can get you started.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum.

James

Hi James-thank you so much for getting back to me, the info you've given will be a fantastic help-I'll definitely be looking into finding out more about what we can spot from the back garden with the little dude!

Hopefully the sky tomorrow will be clearer to let us see a bit more than just a couple of planes :)

Hi all! I hope someone can help, I've got a pair of binoculars from my father in law who sadly passed away two years ago.

My husband dug them out when our little 6 year old asked to look at the sky after watching Stargazing live. Only thing is I'm not sure if they're the right tool for the job, what we are likely to spot (we live in Millwall, right by the Mudchute in eest london) and what to look out for specifically.

The binoculars we have are Bresser Action ones and are 20x50.

Unfortunately this is all the info we have on them! I've added a photo if this helps any. Thanks in advance and please excuse my sons shoe in the pic haha! :)

Welcome Larley.

For 20x50 binoculars, you will need them fixed sturdily to a tripod to see anything clearly. Hand holding at 20x magnification is not usually very successful.

Just to explain a bit further if you are not familiar with binoculars, the 20x is the magnification, and the 50 is the size of the front lenses in mm, the larger the front lenses, the more light will get through.  Bresser can be good binoculars, and sometimes not so good.

Hi Larley and welcome to SGL, a family outing to Regents Park, on one of the week nights that the Baker Street Irregulars, Astro Soc meet, could be worth your while, as you will be able to gather some first hand information and have look through some of their scopes.

I would certainly echo the use of a tripod for the 20x50 binos, as the weight and magnification will be too much to hand hold for any length of time, especially where your 6 year old Daughter is concerned, enjoy your Astronomy :)

Archived