Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge_winners.thumb.jpg.6becf44442bc7105be59da91b2bee295.jpg

yeah thats correct..At least with this scope you don't need to move the primary mirror itself but just slide the tube inwards if it needs to..

Approximately so, yes.  There must be some tutorials on collimating a newt somewhere.  I can't recall where I learnt from.

James

yeah quite a few youtube vids..I am wary of doing that,need to learn much more to do that yet lol..I will keep this scope but if I can't focus then its going to be put away..

I don't like the focus thing where you turn the focus knob though..it can come off in your hands if turned too much

Here is a good guide:

http://astro-baby.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm

Do take it slowly though - usually only the primary needs adjusting. If I were you I'd leave the secondary until you feel confident adjusting the primary...

Dave.

• Like 1

I got my heritage focused but still moon complete blur with camera. Its same with both skywatcher and heritage scopes.Getting really fed up . Both scopes brilliant with lenses. Feel defeated ...  

Yes, that's the one I have, and yes it would be the same as the celestron adapter, but would have the lens cell on the end which as mentioned before will (hopefully) push the focus point far enough back that it will hit the sensor of the camera...

I really don't want to waste £30 if it doesn't work..I have spent too much lol...I suppose I could try?

Tried taking my cell lens out of the Barlow I have and tried it in the celestron adapter but just a bit too small to screw on to it,shame,would have saved me £30

Edited by Stargazer 2013

I really don't want to waste £30 if it doesn't work..I have spent too much lol...I suppose I could try?

That's a fair point. Might be worth going along to an astronomical society near you to see if anyone has one you could have a quick go with?

From the posts above it looks like it might work, but it will change the focal length and ratio of the scope (650mm f/5 to 1300mm f/10).

I only know a little about astrophotography - but what I hear is that visual telescopes aren't usually suitable for astrophotography, and vice versa, certainly for deep space photographs. In astrophotography what matters more than anything else (apart from getting focus!) is accurate tracking - i.e. a sturdy and accurate mount.

I have a dobsonian for visual, and also an SLR camera for which I intend to make a barn door tracker for some good quality widefield shots. I have a few links, but this is the best all-round link I've found with instructions on how to make one, and some very impressive images to go with it. I's more for deep space objects rather than the moon or planets though...

http://barn-door-tracker.co.uk/

Dave.

• Like 1

That's a fair point. Might be worth going along to an astronomical society near you to see if anyone has one you could have a quick go with?

At this point I think this would be a very sensible approach.

James

• Like 1

Thanks for that. I am not asking for much..I just want to get the camera to focus so I can take some pics of the moon etc/stars etc..I just feel defeated..I can get crisp details of the moon with my 25mm and 10mm eye pieces but as soon I put the camera on its hopeless..Just wished the lens from the barlow would have fitted the celestron adapter as it would just be the same as the

Skywatcher 2x Deluxe Achromatic 1.25" Barlow lens

Just bought this item..Please hope it works :)

Edited by Stargazer 2013

Thanks for that. I am not asking for much..I just want to get the camera to focus so I can take some pics of the moon etc/stars etc..I just feel defeated..I can get crisp details of the moon with my 25mm and 10mm eye pieces but as soon I put the camera on its hopeless..Just wished the lens from the barlow would have fitted the celestron adapter as it would just be the same as the

This is what I am getting,inwards or outwards of the focussing..pathetic eh!! lol

post-32896-0-20743700-1390233677_thumb.j

That looks very similar to the one I have. It has the T-thread, and also a barlow lens attached to the end. I hope it works!

Dave.

That looks very similar to the one I have. It has the T-thread, and also a barlow lens attached to the end. I hope it works!

Dave.

If it doesn't work then I really do not know what to do ..

I hate this waiting..lol..I have had the x2 barlow t-ring  for 8 days now and still can't get out to see if it will work..Damn clouds..Please someone blow them away..

• Like 1

did not work with the Heritage but just a few more turns inwards to focus Jupiter would have been good,so near yet so far.

I didn't try the camera with the skywatcher explorer as the clouds rolled in. Thinking I will never be able to take just one picture..Maybe the moon when it shows its face will come into focus being much closer with the

Skywatcher 2x Deluxe Achromatic 1.25" Barlow lens ...    

Think everyone has stopped talking to me haha..I tried the barlow t-ring in the other scope and no show,its just a tiny bit of a turn,honestly so fed up!!

Think everyone has stopped talking to me haha..I tried the barlow t-ring in the other scope and no show,its just a tiny bit of a turn,honestly so fed up!!

I've been on Holiday for a week! Sad news. It might be worth going to a local astro society to see if they can help. It's strange that it works on some peoples 130p but not others... Maybe there is something simple we've all missed?

Dave.

Hi daveniko..There isn't one near me and I don't have a car.. I just don't want to cut off the plastic so it can move forward.It may work for them moon though,can't even see the moon at the moment so don't know where it is so I can use it. When I use the eyepiece in my scope I have to wind the focus back towards me but with the camera in the scope I have to move it forward to focus.. Iritating..

I give up!! Tried the moon with t-ring barlow,nothing,tried t-ring barlow with another barlow..nothing,just can't focus when moving the focus wheel forward.Think I may as well sell my stuff I bought :(

Edited by Stargazer 2013

<p>Did you manage to solve this problem with focus on your Explorer with your Nikon?</p>

<p>I see from your signature you now have a Heritage 130p too?</p>

<p>I get this scope to focus on my Canon 1100d by a combination of a 1.6 barlow and dropping the truss down about 1.5cm.</p>

I have had the same problem. I've got a skywatcher 150PL but cant get focus unless i use the barlow lens. Looking at getting the Skywatcher 200P HEQ5 hoping i wont get the same problem. Heard some ad reports about the nikon cameras so might just get a canon instead. Will see what happens :)