Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Hyperflex 9-27mm zoom

JonnyK

• 5 years later...

Well, this SW HF 7E2 zoom looks to be identical to the ubiquitous 7.2-21.5mm zooms such as the Skywatcher Hyperflex 7E1, Lunt, Orion Zooom!, Opticstar XL, Omegon Cronus/Premium, Orbinar HQ FMC, Solomark Planetary, and TS HR Planetary differing only in focal length bounds.  I would imagine the two utilize very similar lens designs and so probably perform similarly, differing only in magnification.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

Well, it is 2022 now, and I have the same question... Has anybody used a Hyperflex 9-27 zoom? 

I know the 7.2-21.5 is quite good but not sure the 9-27 is in the same league. Thinking it would be a good match for a Solar Scout SS60-ds (f-ratio = 15.5). 7.2mm would be too much magnification for me, and 21.5 @ 40 degrees isn't wide enough for untracked viewing. With a barlow the 9-27 would give 4.5 -13.5 which is very useful. Or about 6-18 with a screw-on barlow nosepiece.

Edited by Ags

Recently, I measured the actual focal length of my Surplus Shed 7.2-21.5mm zoom and came up with 7.4-20.6mm, so a bit short on both ends.  It's not as bad as my Celestron Regal 8-24mm zoom, though.  It measures out to be 8.2-21.2mm!  All I'm saying is, don't bet the farm on the 9-27mm zoom being 27mm at the long end.  It probably will be pretty close to 9mm on the short end, though.

Also, remember that many 2x Barlows are closer to 2.1x to 2.4x in your calculations, depending on where the eyepiece focuses relative to the Barlow's shoulder and the native power of the Barlow if the eyepiece reference plane is exactly at the shoulder.

What about using a hyperwide 9mm eyepiece like the APM XWA for general viewing?  You'd get plenty of dwell time at a reasonable power.  I see you have some 82° eyepieces in that range already.  Is this more about putting together a travel kit or trying to chase the optimum power in real time?

• Like 1

I can see a few uses for it, assuming the wide end is as wide as advertised. Firstly as a cheap travel eyepiece with my f6 Zenithstar 66. Secondly as a solar eyepiece to chase the right magnification (either in white light in the Zenithstar, or in hopefully a Solar Scout in Ha). Bear in mind my eyes don't let me go far below an exit pupil of 1mm. Thirdly as a planetary eyepiece with my C6, moving between mangifications in the range of 9-15 mm.

With a barlow, it would be a double star eyepiece in the Zenithstar, or in the larger ED RFT I plan to get.

I think the twist up eyecup should be good at solar as it would shield the eye lens effectively.

I have most focal lengths covered; ultimately this is about adding a different experience.

Edited by Ags

I have it and so far like it. Of course, I have not had enough use to come to a proper conclusion, but so far, so good.

As circumstance allows, ( Which is not all too often... ) I will use more and try to remember to report on it. :smiley:

• Thanks 1

True, but the true field of view would only be 8% narrower in the 10-30mm if all the focal length and AFOV values are accurate.  By the time you get to a 40° AFOV, it's feeling mighty narrow.  33° will be worse, but you're already deep into the uncomfortably narrow zone anyway.

58 minutes ago, Louis D said:

but you're already deep into the uncomfortably narrow zone anyway

45 degrees is quite ok with my SLV 6mm, so 40 should be allright. But 33 - I don't even want to try! Also it will have narrower true field than the 9-27 with an exit pupil that is getting slightly too large for me, so the 10-30 range doesn't have advantages for me. 

21 hours ago, Louis D said:

How about the Svbony SV170 10-30mm zoom eyepiece? 

I have the Svbony 8 - 24 eyepiece, which is good and improves with the use of a  barlow. ( Baader 2.25x ) I would also say the Hyperflex is better, though I am unsure yet, as to how it will be with a Barlow. :smiley:

• 4 months later...
On 04/04/2022 at 23:04, Greymouser said:

I have it and so far like it. Of course, I have not had enough use to come to a proper conclusion, but so far, so good.

As circumstance allows, ( Which is not all too often... ) I will use more and try to remember to report on it. :smiley:

Hi @Greymouser

How have you found the 9-27mm zoom over the last few months?

Is the FOV really 40 to 60?  I have the similar looking Hyperflex 7-12 zoom (also claiming 40-60) but it measures more like 38 to 55 to me.

And how is eye relief?  The claimed 18mm (rather than the claimed 15mm of the 7-21) is the main thing that's caught my eye.  Is that about right do you think - i.e. a bit more than other similar zooms?

@globular I have hardly used it the last few months, because I have hardly had any sessions, under the stars. To many other commitments; a very tired failing body and clouds. However, my view is still the same, it is a very good eyepiece and the figures sound about right, though I far from an expert. I have used very few zooms. Hope that helps. :smiley:

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Greymouser said:

@globular I have hardly used it the last few months, because I have hardly had any sessions, under the stars. To many other commitments; a very tired failing body and clouds. However, my view is still the same, it is a very good eyepiece and the figures sound about right, though I far from an expert. I have used very few zooms. Hope that helps. :smiley:

Many thanks :thumbright:

• Like 1