Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First light on Mars and Saturn

SW130p

Hi Been up since 4.20am to have my first look at Mars and Saturn. Took my scope out to cool down whilst getting changed and warm. Setup the scope and aimed at my first target to Mars, could make it out as a yellow/orange tiny spot, It was a bit of a disappointing sight so turned towards Saturn, boy I was amazed with, almost a surreal sight. I could easily make out its ring around the planet, tried to photograph but failed, anyway a fantastic sight and well worth getting up for.

I used a SK130p with 10mm and 2x barlow.

Thanks. Hong.

Hi Been up since 4.20am to have my first look at Mars and Saturn. Took my scope out to cool down whilst getting changed and warm. Setup the scope and aimed at my first target to Mars, could make it out as a yellow/orange tiny spot, It was a bit of a disappointing sight so turned towards Saturn, boy I was amazed with, almost a surreal sight. I could easily make out its ring around the planet, tried to photograph but failed, anyway a fantastic sight and well worth getting up for.

I used a SK130p with 10mm and 2x barlow.

Thanks. Hong.

I looked at saturn around 5.45am my first viewing of the planet through my telescope also with a 10mm & 2x barlow.

Mars was a similar experience to yours also.

I'm thinking of getting a decent dedicated eyepiece. I believe the 10mm + 2x barlow = 5mm so hoping to use something at 5mm or bit less if I could get away with it. wanting not to use the barlow to get better quality and light. 

If anyone could let me know with my SK130p whats possible. I don't mind spending a bit to get the best quality image and to ger the most out of the scope.

Thanks.

One thing to note.

If your not using a tracking mount, and you use a small E/P. The image will fly across the FOV.

Rule of thumb is the max of x50 per inch of aperture. And, these could only be optimised at times of excellent seeing.

Orthoscopics are regarded as very good planetary eye pieces.

Eddie H 

H

I'm not surprised you struggled with Mars as it doesn't seem to give up detail easily. Welcome to the thoroughly-amazed-by-Saturn club, though! It is just so real and surreal at the same time, even after many viewings.

Thanks how do you find the view with your EP's in your sig, the 5mm compared to the 10mm with 2x barlow. Im considering getting one so I won't need to use the barlow. do you get a better quality image. I love looking at Jupiter with the 10mm and barlow but feel that the image could be bettered. 

The 5mm BST is a great EP and performs somewhat better than the 10mm with Barlow. This is because the 10mm is just the stock EP that came with the kit. 130x is a good mag to be using with this scope and I use the 5mm a lot! I don't have an 8mm EP yet but am thinking it may come in handy in combination with the Barlow to get to 162x. The 5mm with Barlow is 260x and is way too much!

Also from what I've read so far the BST is not be the best EP to combine with a Barlow. Not sure of the particulars though. All I can say is it is a devil to focus using a Barlow. I'm thinking of getting a different type of EP just for variety.

Motors for the EQ2 are around £30 from flo, so if you want to push magnification up i'd suggest getting one as it makes life a lot easier. About eyepieces, i've heard the Baader classic ortho's are excellent for planetary work but give little eye relief - so if you wear glasses, go for the BST :)

Archived