Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25.thumb.jpg.f1d5d01d306644f613efd90ef96b314c.jpg

Paul G. Abel

Jupiter- nearly half a rotation

Greetings all, and happy 2014 to you all! The skies are finally starting to clear, and here is a recent strip map I made of Jupiter which shows almost a half rotation.  The seeing was quite reasonable for a time and I was able to observe some nice details in the belts and zones.

Best wishes,

-Paul

Jupiter_2014_01_04-05_2320_Visual_PAbel_

• Like 2

Stunning, Paul, really stunning  :smiley:

I get some of these details with my ED120 refractor and my 12" dob but I'm struggling to get near the clarity that you are pulling out with this drawing. 

This really shows what a keen observer armed with a medium size scope can achieve with dedication, skill and experience  :smiley:

Thanks for posting your work  :smiley:

Amazing work Paul, something for me to aspire to later on in my amateur astronomy career :).

Gorgeous Paul, it really is!

I'm out right now with my binos as it happens making the most of the clear skies, and we all know how rare they can be in the UK! Am I right in saying I can make our all 4 of the major moons along side Jupiter tonight, 2 either side?

AO/A!/A2 really stand out here Paul, I guess this is where the filters comes into play?

I also caught a very brief glimpse of that dark rift in the NTZ tonight although conditions were pretty poor so its nice to confirm it with your observation (even 5 days on!).

Thanks for posting this Paul, a really well documented observation as ever. :)

Thanks guys, glad you like it :)  Here's a tip, try using a W#11 (yellow) filter for examining the boundaries of the belts and zones, it really helps bring out the details and is a good all round filter.  I also find it helps with the white ovals in the STB.

-Paul

Very nice Paul theres some stunning detail in your sketch.A good quality yellow and blue filter is essential when viewing Jupiter