Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Two galaxy sized bits of fuzziness in one EP

Fozzie

Thanks to SGL tonight and a quick word with myself about not finding them last Saturday... Just put Bode's and the cigar on the list, although it's as windy as dinner of sprouts and cabbage, and the moon seems bright for its stage, relatively pleased with the view of the 25mm TV and the 17mm SWA.

Noice!

It's on my list as well (still to be ticked off)

Like the triangulum galaxy, this target has evaded capture and needs something like this to spur me on.

It's on the hit list for Friday or Saturday night.

The owl nebula was another that nearly got away.

Once found - it's very easy to go back to, and you wonder what the fuss was about.

M81 and M82 are more interesting in many ways than the great M31 in Andromeda, in my opinion :smiley:

I love these "2 for 1" objects - there are quite a few around the sky, even some "3 for 1's" if you look carefully  :wink:

I agree, I mean in comparison these are a small target compared with Andromeda, but in some way they seemed more punchier, brighter and full of contrast last night..

All those stars, worlds and gases just there in a small 25mm plossl... another wow moment I think..

So John, recommend any 3 for 1 deal I should be looking at?

Hay Reeny, I was hunting the owl along with M108 & M109 last Saturday, came across a distinct circular change in contrast, but almost undetectable.. Even tried adding the Oiii & UHC filters to see if it would help the contrast, which it did, just, as I decided I didn't need an optician just yet, but it left me wanting more and I couldn't for the life of me get M108 or M109..

Going to try again tomorrow but with the moon up n bright I might be better staying with the clusters..

Hay Reeny, I was hunting the owl along with M108 & M109 last Saturday, came across a distinct circular change in contrast, but almost undetectable.. Even tried adding the Oiii & UHC filters to see if it would help the contrast, which it did, just, as I decided I didn't need an optician just yet, but it left me wanting more and I couldn't for the life of me get M108 or M109..

Going to try again tomorrow but with the moon up n bright I might be better staying with the clusters..

The challenge with seeing the Owl and M108 in the same field of view is that the UHC or O-III filter that makes the planetary nebula stand out also has the effect of dimming the galaxy to the point where it virtually disappears !.

What I usually do is to find The Owl using an O-III filter and observe that for a while and then remove the filter and view both objects together, accepting that the Owl will have lost quite a bit of it's contrast.

Archived