Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What ep for mak/cass127

Hi gang, what would be the best eye piece to have for viewing the planets with a mak-cass 127. I already have a 10mm, 15mm, 25mm, 32mm, 45mm and a X2 & X4 barlow. I was thinking of maybe a 4mm or  6mm but was advised against this because of the high power of the scope.

I mainly use the 12mm and 15mm for Jupiter and Saturn, conditions need to be good for the 8mm so I am not sure a 127 mak will deliver good views above 200x magnification. Your range of EPs look fine, but what make are they ? Could it be that you need higher quality of the EPs ?

My EPs are just the bog standard ones that come with the scopes. 15mm  Kellner (Tal),  Skywatcher super 10, Skywatcher super 25, Plossl 25mm (Tal), Skywatcher plossl 32mm, Kellner 42mm (Tal).

hi ether,

i have a mak-cass 127. the mag limit is 254x. so really any ep under 6mm would be pointless.

as above i generally use my 12mm or 17mm baader hyperion with fine tuning rings. with both rings i get 9.2mm, which on good nights is the lowest focal length i find purposeful. 

Both the Hyperion and BSTs are popular EPs. Of the supplied EPs I got with my scope the 25mm was ok but the 9mm was awful. You will get much better performance from either make. Depending on your budget I would consider a 12mm EP which is great on the moon and planets. Then when you see the difference you will replace the others over time. ;)

ether823..........Hi,  A 12mm BST Starguider with its 60° AFOV would give you 128x(solo) and 0.47°TFOV and if 2xBarlowed @257x (0.23°TFOV) with better eye relief than just buying a 6mm. Your telescope is capable in 'best' conditions of 254x using a 6.1mm EP, depending on what your looking at, with a minimum exit pupil of about 0.5mm. They say ??? that due to the UK weather and the atmospherics here, were limited to about 200x power/magnification, no matter what the telescope? I view the Moon with my 8mm at 375X. so you can pass the so called limits. Double your aperture gives 254, now add the x = 254x power. This is what could be expected, but no telescope is perfect to its limits. 

The stock 9mm (I think) EP that came with my Celestron mak127 was "ok" but not great, afterwards I got a 7mm Celestron XCel-LX and the image quality is much better but I feel that most of the time it's slightly too much magnification for the scope on the planets (slightly grainy / dim image on Jupiter).

If I was buying again having tried the 7mm I'd probably want to go for an 8mm or a 9mm focal length EP of better quality than came with the scope.

You can't go wrong with the hyperion, especially with the ftr's. I was out last night using my goodies from Santa (17mm hyperion, 2ftr's and new star diagonal 99% dielectric). I used the 2rings and new diagonal (gave me a focal length for my hyperion of 9.2mm). I then compared the visual with the stock diagonal and stock 9mm. It blew me away, the contrast between them was stark. Such a cleaner, sharper visual. Highly recommended.

P.s ether, the lowest hyperion that you could use in your scope would be the 8mm, but you couldn't use the ftr's with it because they would take you below your scopes threshold of 6mm. If you were getting one (with ftr's), I'd start with the 13 or 17mm.

Archived