SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astronomy and camping

Fypunky

As the winter days slowly pass us by and spring is just around the corner I am thinking it maybe a good idea to take the 3 man tent out and spend the odd weekend camping with little legs in Cumbria with some nice dark sky's above.

So is astronomy generally welcomed at camp sites or frowned upon as we are a group that only goes to play at night and many sites have a strict noise/ nuisance code after 10.30/ 11pm etc

Do members generally find they don't have any problems or is it the opposite and you find there is no problem?

I have camped for years and know some sites are very strict and some are relaxed but it would be interesting to hear how you got on over the years.

Of coarse it depends on any one camping site since, I would imagine, each one would have its own rules. I have a state forest nearby that has several campsites and over the years some of these sites are reserved for the younger campers, also known as partying "campers". There, they can make all the noise they want while other sites geared for older campers are a mile or more away to preserve their peace and quiet. Other sites are family oriented with their own rules to follow.

Even with this system, I would think it would be a little difficult to do any real serious observing  but it would present a chance to spread the hobby with public observing sessions for sure. So far, I have not heard of any and since my observing is always done alone or sometimes with a really interested friend,  that when I do observe in this forest, its well away from any people since my observing is sort of a "religious" or deeply serious event. The very secluded site keeps me away from any people that may pose a risk to my safety and to be honest, I love the peacefulness of the quiet woods both day and night.

I hope others, like yourself, will try this camping activity when camping, whether alone or in a public camping area. I can only see some good coming out of it but for myself, its another story since my observing sessions are very dear to me. I do my "sharing" of the hobby on sites like this one, which I believe can connect with many more people interested in the hobby.

I've never had a problem - either with push to scopes or goto scopes on any campsite. Sometimes I've had a small crowd round for a look - and only had one embarrassing moment when I set a scope up wrong and it overbalanced - knocked me to the floor - then fell on me in front of half a dozen onlookers. The embarrassing bit was getting the missus to lift it off me lol.

But I've never had a complaint from campers nor site managers - and it's always attracted a bit of interest. :)

I tend to look for very small farm campsites with only up to 10 pitches - they are usually deserted and are ideal for astronomy!

The last place I stayed at I invited the proprietor to have a peek through the scope!

Another option is to use the campsite as a base and drive out to a remote area.

To the OP, do you make a lot of noise when observing? Apart from maybe the odd "Yippee" when you find a target. I thinkthe only real noise i make is when I utter the odd expletive when something does not go to plan. I would be very surprised if anyone was at all put out, as brantuk said, a few people would enjoy the opportunity to look through the scope. This would probably bring its own problems in that you would then have a large group who may start talking quite loudly at the excitement of seeing objects or as they asked you more and more questions.

Go for it!

Ian

hi cant see why they would stop u using a scope, depends really on the site , I kind I find if you can have open fires , usually they are more relaxed, depends also how loud you and yer mates are , or go free camping find a place to pitch up on a common somewhere ,  also jealous of where you live , going by your pic , do you go to the rebellion gigs in blackpool,

I camped in a Wales campsite , it was fantastic , not only welcomed astronomers ( they told me they get a few through out the year) they went out the way to give me a spot as far away from the main pitches . The lights were all low level minimalistic type and the whole place was ideal .

Apart from the #*##** clouds . No gazing was done at all . Doh !

I always get my best observing of the year when I go camping in Dorset with the children. Observing is a pretty quiet business (well it is the way I do it!), so I've never had any problems at all. Even running a Goto scope has never caused any issues, so go for it!

Cheers,

Stu

In Australia you never had to worry about campsites, you just picked a place and went.

Not of much help really but I agree with this comment....

or go free camping find a place to pitch up on a common somewhere

Of course find out if you have to gain permission first before doing so.

In Australia you never had to worry about campsites, you just picked a place and went.

Not of much help really but I agree with this comment....

Of course find out if you have to gain permission first before doing so.

That may be true except for any of those nasty, kicking members of the kangaroo family that might not like your intrusion into their habitat - I wouldn't like one coming up and kicking my A** never mind my delicate scope :shocked:  The only place there I would feel safe camping out would be atop Ayers Rock with maybe some digeridoo music to calm my nerves during one of those nice sunsets :cool: 

Nah, Kangaroos were never a problem. They don't like getting close to people but I wouldn't be keen on getting to close to one either. Tasty though. :D

Aside from the crocs up North Oz isn't really that bad in the bush, sure there are snakes and spiders but you guys have them too and there really isn't anything in Australia that could eat you(again crocs aside). America has it all, Gators, Bears, Cougars, Bigfoot and Martha Stewart. I'd be on edge camping out in some places over there but I'd love it too. :)

In Canada we set a couple of tents up to do a day or two fishing on an island in a lake, we returned by boat later on to find the whole site had be trampled by something rather large.

Needless to say we didn't stay the night.

I've not had problems when I went to Shell Island apart from kids with really bright torches trying to have light sabre fights, but that died down after 11ish and its such a big place that you can set up for a week and not be disturbed.

...sure there are snakes and spiders but you guys have them too and there really isn't anything in Australia that could eat you(again crocs aside).

There may not have many large man eating creatures in Australia (besides crocs) but isn't just about everything there poisonous/venomous. I have read that they got spiders (Australian Funnel Web Spider) whose fangs can pierce leather and fingernails?...I have even heard that the butterflies there have fangs :)

Archived