SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Aurora Borealis Over Scotland & Northern England Tonight & Tomorrow Night

YouCannotBeSirius

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need a KP6 here in Cumbria so my fairly educated guess would be anything further than Manchester would need at least a 6 but perhaps more likely, a 7?

Has anyone from the UK seen anything?

It seems the sudden fluctuation to KP4 around 11-12am was the best it's gonna get tonight. Whichever scientist started the KP7 rumour needs talking to!

A quick KP update for Europe in case anyone is still interested:

Right now, the aurora is predicted to be: Kp 2.67 In 0 hour and 19 minutes, the aurora is predicted to be kp 2.67

In 0 hour and 36 minutes, the aurora is predicted to be kp 2.67

In 0 hour and 45 minutes, the aurora is predicted to be kp 1.00

I think it's worth seeing what tomorrow night's situation is...

I think you are right about tomorrow night, Astromonkey.

I'm no expert on these things, but I know I need a KP6 for Cumbria, Col, and KP7 would reach Southern areas. Also a clear, dark sky and views of the Northern horizon.

I don't have an horizon but the tops of the buildings in the distance of my town. It's not too bad considering.

Earlier there was KP4, since it's steadily dropped to 3 and then to 2.76 and heading towards 1 in the next hour. The best time is around 12am-3am on high ground, looking at Northern horizon under a dark, clear sky. The chances now are slim and looking dismal from the sites I regularly check....

No problem, it's a great site, very up-to-date and accurate, it's the one I keep an eye on the most.

I wonder if anyone in Scotland saw anything when we were on KP4 earlier. It was exciting seeing the quick jump from 1/2 - 4 shortly before midnight.

Ah well, nothing wrong with being hopeful and optimistic, if you never try you never know. There'll be other times in the future.

Archived