Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Aurora Borealis Over Scotland & Northern England Tonight & Tomorrow Night

YouCannotBeSirius

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update from the NOAA at 8pm : 

The coronal mass ejection (CME), originally expected to arrive around 0800 UTC (3:00 a.m. EST) today, January 9, was observed at the ACE spacecraft just upstream of Earth at 1932 UTC (2:32 p.m. EST).  It’s too early to see much with respect to the magnetic structure of this CME, but short-term, high-confidence warnings will be issued as this event plays out.  The original forecast continues to be for G3 (Strong) Geomagnetic Storm activity on January 9 and 10.  Aurora watchers may be in luck for tonight.  The ongoing Solar Radiation Storm, currently at S2 (Moderate) levels, is seeing a modest enhancement with this shock passage but remains below S3 (Strong) threshold at this time.  Updates here as this event unfolds.

Personally I don't rely on Aurorawatch as they are slow to update and their measurements at best appear to be 3 hour averages whereas other websites offer 15 minute - 60 second updates on solar wind other things. Also I've been told AW doesn't post any 'alerts' until such activity is actually happening, giving little warning time. Check out the other links Astromonkey and I have posted.

Right now, the aurora is predicted to be: Kp 1.33 In 0 hour and 29 minutes, the aurora is predicted to be kp 1.33

In 0 hour and 39 minutes, the aurora is predicted to be kp 1.33

In 0 hour and 51 minutes, the aurora is predicted to be kp 4.00

In less than an hour we go to KP4...

So the big question, should I stay up to try and catch a glimpse, I'm in Dorset...... I'm guessing my chances are slim to none? :-(

Well, auroral activity hasn't even increased at higher latitudes so far. I'm not excited about this one myself.

The two decent aurorae I have seen from my back garden were both well forecast by the types of imagery I the links above.

Now that short term's gone to a 4 I'm getting ready. If it goes to 5 we'll be heading out on a 35 min drive to darker skies on the off chance of it reaching a 6.

Got to take these rare half opportunities when they come.

I've only seen it once, when we were camping near Wick 5 years ago.

Fingers crossed!

Im not giving up hope yet. On the day of the x class flare there was an M class flare not too long beforehand and one after. In the two days from sun to earth , with each flare travelling at different speeds, it is likely that there has been a lot of mixing of the solar wind meaning that the arrival of the CME may be just the start of an evening of activity.

The IMF is still bouncing around and moderately strong, but not dived to far south yet, and the magnetograms are on a post hit downward path which is good so if another part of the solar wind has more to give then you never know what might happen.

cheers

Archived