SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

You like galaxies ...? if so you'll love this one ...

Steve Ward

This is actually quite a significant image. I believe this is showing some galaxies as they were approximately 500 million years after the big bang. The significance is that they are an order of magnitude brighter than previous galaxies detected at this distance.

Fantistic image by the way!

Just think of the diversity of living species in this image. I wonder how many eyes are looking back

Indeed. While gazing upwards, that single thought is the one that always comes back to me.

it is an epic image, so many galaxies so close (comparatively) together.

but then again, andromeda is seriously close to us as well (comparatively). I was talking to a friend at work and he just didnt believe it was that 'close' as space is so vast. Our galaxy is 100kly across and andromeda is 2.5mly away, therefore 25 times the width of our galaxy away. So i demonstrated with 2 footballs, using one ball as our galaxy and placed andromeda 25 ball widths away from our galaxy, they look literally next door!

Can you imagine what the night sky must be like from the centre of that cluster ...  :laugh:

Not that much different than our night sky view. Remember, the distance between those galaxies is so great that we here cant really "see" all the companions of our "local group" and the bigger group it belongs to and...I'm dizzy already thinking about it :eek:

What is so amazing about this view (picture) is the vast distance one has to be from such a group in order to see the group as a whole :eek:  Isn't the mind an amazing thing being able to comprehend  such things? :cool:

As to what the night sky would look like, I ran a thread a while back wondering what it would look like from the center of the globular M13 and the responses were that the distances between those stars was so great that it would not be much different from what we have here, with the possibility of the slight chance of having maybe 2 Suns and a brighter night sky with more stars visible :Envy:  Distance - what a magical concept when dealing with the universe :shocked:

not so sure about that.

accoding to wiki,

"globular clusters can contain a high density of stars; on average about 0.4 stars per cubic parsec, increasing to 100 or 1000 stars per cubic parsec in the core of the cluster.[26] The typical distance between stars in a globular cluster is about 1 light year,[27] but at its core, the separation is comparable to the size of the Solar System (100 to 1000 times closer than stars near the Solar System)."

that would suggest quite a bright night sky

not so sure about that.

accoding to wiki,

"globular clusters can contain a high density of stars; on average about 0.4 stars per cubic parsec, increasing to 100 or 1000 stars per cubic parsec in the core of the cluster.[26] The typical distance between stars in a globular cluster is about 1 light year,[27] but at its core, the separation is comparable to the size of the Solar System (100 to 1000 times closer than stars near the Solar System)."

that would suggest quite a bright night sky

It might have a few dozens of ISS like bright stars, but it's nothing compared to having a nearby sun with a nice, reflecting moon.

nicks90 - Well, that's just what I thought it would be like but posting the question of what the night sky would be like at the heart of M13 a while ago on SGL, the replies were not as favorable for a bright, star filled sky with perhaps a couple of Suns to deal with. But what do I know - I'll never be around to find out so I'll take your word on the issue as "probable" :smiley:

what id like to know is how would you align your telescope on another planet lol without the aid of the tinternet and sky charts and iphone planetariums....etc,etc lol guess there would be no Polaris.... it would certainly be a fun challenge! one that we will hopefully make one day

Archived