Narrowband

When is a premium eyepiece overkill? (On a cheaper scope)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about the second hand market? These things don't wear out. Maybe buy one second hand and replace with new if you feel the need then dispose of surplus through the classifieds?

The secondhand market is the best way to try eyepieces in my view. If it's not for you the eyepiece can be sold again and usually you will recoup most or all of what you originally paid.

I've owned loads of eyepieces over the years and 99% of them were bought used.

The challenge is that the really good ones don't hang around for long !

I steadily worked my way up. It has cost more in the long run but have appreciated each incremental improvement along the way.

SkyWatcher MA --> Revelation Plossls --> Baader Hyperions, Meade 4000 SWA and Vixen LV --> Pentax, Explore Scientific and Televue.

My route was Tele Vue ----> a number of years with many other types ----> back to Tele Vue again having realised that they were actually pretty good :rolleyes2:

You are right though - I didn't appreciate the Tele Vue qualities until I had tried a lot of others.

My route has been eclectic!  :grin: But there are 2 TV plossls in there, even if they're the only TV EPs I'm ever likely to own!  :p

Seems like most people suggest that I will indeed be able experience the benefit even in a C90 with a stock diagonal.

Don't underestimate the power of the dark side!

Go on, you know you want to, what's a weeny little 15mm TV Plossl between friends? Go on, in the interests of astronomical advancement we are eagerly awaiting your comparative review of the 15mm TV Plossl and the Celestron zoom! Go on, you've already suggested that you'd rather use the zoom for terrestrial observations, that'd mean there'd be an appropriate gap that the 15mm TV plossl would fill. Just the one, you wouldn't need to buy any more (unless you really liked them). And as John has said, they're a bargain on the second hand market (I just can't find one at the mo)!

Cheers

I have only owned 2 proper scopes one a c5 the other my present triplet 80.  My cheap plossls gave great views in the c5 they were however awful in my f6 apo.  The same was not true of my pentax it was great in both scopes. My take, a great eyepiece will give the best views on any scope whether the scope is good or bad It may not make a scope into a great one but it will make it better, wearas a poor eyepiece will make even a good scope poorer

Archived