Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

please help me with focusing

please help me with focusing. I've just bought a celestron powerseeker 127eq telescope and I am really struggling with focusing on anything at all, I'm not sure which lenses to use, all I can see if I look at the moon is a bright blurry image. can anyone help me as spent a lot on this and really want to get into exploring the night sky 

Hello and welcome.

With regards to your problem, are you using eyepieces when observing rather than looking straight down the draw tube? Have you got everything assembled correctly? Can you show us any photos of your setup which may help us diagnose the issue?

Look forward to seeing you around.

Hi and welcome to SGL :)

Take everything out of the focuser tube and just use the 20mm eyepiece for now. This will give you 50x magnification and you'll easily see sharp views of the moon. The trick is to turn the focuser all the way in (ie up against the telescope) then wind it out very slowly till you see an image begin to appear. Go slow though cos it's very easy to go past the focus point if you're too quick.

Also you'll need to do this on a very clear night. When it's misty everything is fuzzy and it's impossible to focus on anything. Let us know how you get on with that and do come back if you have more questions. :)

awesomegolfer1........Hi, The Celestron 127 is pretty much built like a brick  * house!. There' not a great deal to adjust. I think at the moment, you just have a minor issue with the focuser? Just make sure the focuser is fully in, not extended, then insert your largest lens, the 20mm erecting eyepiece. brantuk is correct about the clear night conditions for normal setup, but the 127 EQ is also a Day terrestrial telescope, hence the erecting (correcting) eyepiece. Now looking through the eyepiece during the Day, focus on something in the distance. Not a tree at the end of your garden, but a Church or something miles away, the further the better. As you rotate the focuser wheel, the lens should come outwards away from the scope, in fact you can just adjust the focus wheels first to see if the focuser does actually move in and out. If it doesn't, then that needs some adjustment, which is on the underside of the focuser. If all looks well, look through the eyepiece until something comes into focus. if it comes into focus, then all is well. if that's the case, lock the telescope into position, and now just look through the finder scope. Without moving the already locked telescope, adjust the finder scope so that the cross hair aligns with what you saw through the eyepiece. Once both are aligned to the same target, finding targets at night will be a breeze. If this doesn't work, we'll try something else. someone else may add to this or be here before me, to continue any testing or set-up, but were all here to help.

Archived